Can the configuration be transferred between different PANOS via Expedition?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Can the configuration be transferred between different PANOS via Expedition?

L2 Linker

Dear All

Is the configuration migration from Panos 9.x running on PA to another PA running 10.2.X doable for Expedition? or each of them must have the same version in order to migrate the Configuration using Expedition?

Best regards

3 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @mohammedsalhis ,

Expedition supports multiple PAN-OS versions.  It is important to note that "The first PAN-OS configuration imported into the project will be assigned as Base Configuration." https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/expedition-articles/expedition-user-guide-v1-2/ta-p/285157

I have not yet used Expedition to migrate from one PAN-OS to another, but it should be the same process that I have used multiple times to migrate from another vendor.

Just an FYI, I like to load the Day 1 Configuration on my new NGFW and import that as the base config.

Thanks,

Tom

PS There are some threads on this forum that say simply load the old PAN-OS config onto the new one, and it will automatically convert it.  I am curious if that will work.

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

View solution in original post

L2 Linker

Hi @TomYoung 

should both be on the same PANOS version when loading the older one onto the new one?

Thanks

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

No, try loading the older PAN-OS configuration onto the newer one.

6 REPLIES 6

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @mohammedsalhis ,

Expedition supports multiple PAN-OS versions.  It is important to note that "The first PAN-OS configuration imported into the project will be assigned as Base Configuration." https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/expedition-articles/expedition-user-guide-v1-2/ta-p/285157

I have not yet used Expedition to migrate from one PAN-OS to another, but it should be the same process that I have used multiple times to migrate from another vendor.

Just an FYI, I like to load the Day 1 Configuration on my new NGFW and import that as the base config.

Thanks,

Tom

PS There are some threads on this forum that say simply load the old PAN-OS config onto the new one, and it will automatically convert it.  I am curious if that will work.

L2 Linker

Hello Tom,

Just Noticed that the Certificate won't be migrated using Expedition.

regarding to (PS There are some threads on this forum that say simply load the old PAN-OS config onto the new one, and it will automatically convert it.  I am curious if that will work) should both have same OS version?

Thank you

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @mohammedsalhis ,

I have heard that, too.  I think you can load the older one onto the new one.  Please let us know if it works.

Thanks,

Tom

L2 Linker

Hi @TomYoung 

should both be on the same PANOS version when loading the older one onto the new one?

Thanks

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

No, try loading the older PAN-OS configuration onto the newer one.

L2 Linker

Many Thanks

• 3 accepted solutions
  • 6 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!