Console Port Authentication

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Console Port Authentication

L2 Linker

For an inspection, I need to be able to prove that the console port prompts for a username and password.  I know that the console port uses the same authentication profile as the management interface because I have tested it on devices that I have on-site, but I need to provide documentable proof of this for the devices that are off-site.

Is there official documentation that states that the console port uses the same authentication as the management interface, or is there a setting I can show either through the GUI or through CLI that shows that the console port requires authentication?

2 REPLIES 2

L7 Applicator

I would provide the getting started section from the Admin Guide.  This pretty clearly states that the user/password is required to use the console port even when the device is factory fresh.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

Ah, thank you, I didn't look in the Pan-OS 6.0 Admin Guide.  We are running Pan-OS 5, so that's where I looked...

Although those getting started instructions are kind of weird because steps 2 and three say you can connect through the firewall using the management port or the console port but then the rest of the steps are all GUI steps so the console wouldn't work for that.

But there is a section 'Using the Command Line Interface (CLI)' that has the steps of accessing the CLI through the console port and it states that you must enter the username and password.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!