Default Behavior of QoS

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Default Behavior of QoS

L3 Networker

Hello All,
Quick question on the default behavior of QoS on the firewalls.  Do interfaces on the firewall assume the QoS profile of "default" if I don't specify a QoS profile for the interface?  The heart of my question is if I change the guarenteed and max values for the profile as well as class 4, would those values apply by default, or would I still have to apply the qos profile to the interface before these values would take effect? 

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

L4 Transporter

I believe that if we do not select any profile, no profile will be applied.

We can still control a couple generic options, like max egress and guaranteed egress for certain interfaces, between clear text and encrypted traffic, but without a profile selected it won't do much more than that.

Any easy way to test would be to go ahead and set it up as you mentioned and then check out the session information in the CLI.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

L5 Sessionator

You have to apply the QOS profile to the interface otherwise it is useless.

Lets say firewall have 3 qos profile now how firewall will determine which one to use so we have to apply then only firewall will start using that QOS profile for QOS

Refer the following

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Configuration-Articles/Incorrect-QoS-Configuration-Caused-Netwo...

Rate the helpful answer

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L4 Transporter

I believe that if we do not select any profile, no profile will be applied.

We can still control a couple generic options, like max egress and guaranteed egress for certain interfaces, between clear text and encrypted traffic, but without a profile selected it won't do much more than that.

Any easy way to test would be to go ahead and set it up as you mentioned and then check out the session information in the CLI.

Thanks!

L5 Sessionator

You have to apply the QOS profile to the interface otherwise it is useless.

Lets say firewall have 3 qos profile now how firewall will determine which one to use so we have to apply then only firewall will start using that QOS profile for QOS

Refer the following

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Configuration-Articles/Incorrect-QoS-Configuration-Caused-Netwo...

Rate the helpful answer

Thanks pakumar.  I assumed what you described as correct, but you know what assuming does 🙂 .  Thanks for the verification.

I have tested this. To make QOS to work we have to create QOS policy and apply the QOS on the interface. Main task is to create QOS policy. If we have not created the QOS policy then also QOS will not work.

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!