Device certificate advisory when firewall doesn't use the mgmt interface for these connections

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Device certificate advisory when firewall doesn't use the mgmt interface for these connections

L2 Linker

Hello.

so in regards to the palo advisory of upgrading and rolling out device certificates we are running into an issue which I'm not sure what the impact is.

we have a number of panorama managed firewall clusters. however these firewalls don't use their mgmt/oob interface for connections to palo alto services or dns.
as a result after following the OTP procedure for a palo alto managed firewall the active node of the cluster gets a valid certificate without issue. the passive node remains at none.

we ca make the passive node active briefly so that it can retrieve a certificate whilst active however this certificate expires after 90 days, will try to renew after 75 days by default. if the node is passive this will fail.

It's unclear to me what the impac tof this is. will a (passive) firewall with an expired device certificate still be able to renew as soon as it becomes active without issue?

will a firewall with an expired certificate run into any issues being connected to log collectors or panorama?

I doubt we are the only people with a setup where either dns or palo alto update services are not sent out using the dedicated mgmt interface or where the dedicated mgmt interface is not allowed to go to the internet.

can anyone clarify here what the impact is and ithere is what workarounds there can be?

1 REPLY 1

Community Team Member

Hi @TommieVanHove ,

I've referred your question to the customer advisory team. Thanks for your patience!

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!