disabling global protect web portal

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

disabling global protect web portal

L3 Networker

hi team 

is there a way to disable global protect web portal only leaving the actual vpn gateway functioning?

thank you

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Initially GlobalProtect agent will connect to portal and get list of gateways.

After that GlobalProtect agent will establish VPN tunnel to one of gateways (if all gateways have same priority then latency is deciding factor which gateway is chosen).

GlobalProtect agent will then cache this list of gateways. By default for 24 hours before it needs to talk to portal again.

You can disable portal web login but portal itself needs to exist (as mentioned in link shared previously).

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Hi, thanks for the comment, I was meant to say how to disable the web portal itself (from the firewall side), so palo alto does not listen on 443 to launch the webpage once url us entered 

@nevolex I do not think it is possible by design to do this.

As GP uses IPSEC/SSL connection to work.

Regards

Mahesh

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

L3 Networker

@nevolex 

As per my understanding  the  user is asking if Portal config is not there not the login page.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards

Mahesh

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Initially GlobalProtect agent will connect to portal and get list of gateways.

After that GlobalProtect agent will establish VPN tunnel to one of gateways (if all gateways have same priority then latency is deciding factor which gateway is chosen).

GlobalProtect agent will then cache this list of gateways. By default for 24 hours before it needs to talk to portal again.

You can disable portal web login but portal itself needs to exist (as mentioned in link shared previously).

This was the solution I was looking for and worked for me. Thank you!

L2 Linker

Is it possible to keep GP portal (and login page), but disable it listening on port 80 so it only listens on 443?

Pushing zeros and ones.

Port 80 will redirect to 443 by default.

If you don't like 80 to be open then don't add this port into firewall rule that permits traffic from Internet towards GlobalProtect Portal.

The thing is, I don't have any rule in firewall policy exclusively permitting anything from internet to outside facing interface, that GP portal/gateway run on. Furthermore if I watch traffic log and telnet to public_ip:80, I don't even see that flow logged, although every rule including explicit deny any rule in the end for all to all zones have logging enabled. I can see successful/failed VPN activity on GlobalProtect log page though.

Pushing zeros and ones.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

If you don't have "Block Any" rule at the end then traffic from outside zone to outside zone is permitted by default rule "intrazone-default".

As step one select intrazone-default rule, click "Override" at the bottom and check "Log at Session End" on Actions tab to enable logging on the rule.

L2 Linker

I do have deny any configured exclusively in the end with logging enabled. Could this be something related to firewall being a VM version? Also PA VMs don't have an override option for their default rules.

igobejishvili_0-1694192633342.png

Pushing zeros and ones.
  • 1 accepted solution
  • 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!