Does static route path monitoring work with multiple virtual routers ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Does static route path monitoring work with multiple virtual routers ?

L1 Bithead

Hello,

I need to implement a static route monitoring where route A with metric 5 is only applied if google is reachable, route B with metric 10 is backup link through WAN, and both routes are on VR default. I have another VR, Apps VR, where I need to make sure the default route (0.0.0.0) in this VR also has a static route monitoring where if Internet (Google) is unreachable, to use a secondary route through WAN network. All routes on both VRs (Default and Apps) will have monitoring sourced from an interface on default VR. 

My question is if implementing the static route monitoring on both VRs does make me achieve the objective or I might be missing something here.

Thanks everyone.

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @bambox 

When you create multiple virtual routers, each one maintains its own separate routes that are not shared between each other. You can have static route path monitoring on the routes on all the VRs that you have. Now as each L3 interface is associated with a specific virtual router and each interface can be part of only one router, so you can't have all the routes on both VRs (Default and Apps) monitoring sourced from an interface on default VR. On Apps VR, you would need to use source interface associated with Apps Router for monitoring static routes on Apps VR.

Hope it helps!

M

Perfect but just to confirm, if I have a static route monitoring on Apps VR pointing with its default route to next hop being Default VR if Google is reachable, would that still be working fine assuming I set the source interface from an Apps VR interface? The reason of my question is in the documentation it says "Path monitoring doesn’t apply to static routes configured between virtual routers.", I couldn't really understand that part.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!