Email subject line is truncated or shortened after upgrade to 9.1.6

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Email subject line is truncated or shortened after upgrade to 9.1.6

L2 Linker

As I upgrade firewalls to 9.1.6 (from 8.1.x) I am noticing that the subject line for emails I receive (typically System messages) appears to be intentionally truncated. This is not display issue with outlook. If I open the email the subject line still ends in '...'

The problem is I have custom email rules that filter on the subject field and now they are not matching due to the truncation.

Here is a screen shot from my outlook client. You can see the 2nd message is shorter. The first message came from and 8.1.x firewall and the 2nd message came from a 9.1.6 firewall. Trust me this is not outlook truncating the display. If I open the email the subject line looks the same. 

ChrisIsett_0-1619785033940.png

Not sure what is going on here.

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Thanks. Is this documented anywhere? How would I know this was an intentional change? I looked through the release notes but I did not find anything.

I like the suggestion of filtering on the body of the test. I had not thought of that.

View solution in original post

@ChrisIsett,

I don't actually believe that it is. I only know that it was intentional because I asked when 9.1 was in beta and was told that it was the result of updating how the firewall actually handles emailing those alerts. The subject field can't be any longer than 99 characters, so it's truncated after 95 characters and add '....' to get to the 99 character limitation. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@ChrisIsett,

This was an intentional change in 9.1 and continues in 10.0. I personally don't have a massive issue with rules since you can just create rules off of the body text, but this is expected. Maybe you could reach out to your SE and make a feature request to not truncate the subject line? If you let us know the FR number I would definitely vote for it. 

Thanks. Is this documented anywhere? How would I know this was an intentional change? I looked through the release notes but I did not find anything.

I like the suggestion of filtering on the body of the test. I had not thought of that.

@ChrisIsett,

I don't actually believe that it is. I only know that it was intentional because I asked when 9.1 was in beta and was told that it was the result of updating how the firewall actually handles emailing those alerts. The subject field can't be any longer than 99 characters, so it's truncated after 95 characters and add '....' to get to the 99 character limitation. 

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!