Error Uninstalling GlobalProtect on Windows 10

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Error Uninstalling GlobalProtect on Windows 10

L0 Member
Hello. I have installed GlobalProtect, Version 1.1.6-9, on Windows 10 64 bits.

When I try to unistall it, it displays a message:

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor"

What should I do?

Thanks

GlobalProtect_error.png

7 REPLIES 7

L6 Presenter

Hi,

Try to install this program:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

And that uninstall using it

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

This must have been an inplace upgrade to Windows 10? Was this actually working prior to trying to uninstall it or were you trying to uninstall it because it has stopped working?

That version of GlobalProtect does not meet the minimums for anything above Windows 8. I imagine that you are hitting this issue exactly because of what the error message is refering to, the uninstaller package can't actually run on Windows 10. 

1. In Windows cmd > sc delete PanGPS
2. Clean out the registry and Program directories:
a. Start -> run -> regedit.
b. Remove the following key - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Palo Alto Networks
c. Remove the following key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Palo Alto Networks
d. Delete the following folder/directory - C:\Program Files\Palo Alto Networks
3. Reboot
4. Go to support.paloaltonetworks.com and download newest GlobalProtect Client Agent to Windows Desktop and run it.
5. Go to Programs and Features and right click GlobalProtect Repair. (SOLUTION)

Best Effort Contributor

Check out our PANCast Channel

@poagrawal, you really shouldn't be doing that to delete any application. Depending on the application developers will hide configuration files all of Windows since there is no 'required' place to put them. I'll point out even in this solution that you didn't delete out the AppData folder which holds the log, portal cfg file, and the PUAC. I don't doubt that this would function properly but it's a really bad practice to get into. 

L3 Networker

Hi All, 

If you try diabling windows defender, stopping any service in servcies if still running then try uninstall that may help... 

Kind regards,

Robert D 

L0 Member

Hi

After several attempts and with Revo not even able to solve the problem, then I got it fixed on Windows 10 using this https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-r... - 

Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab

This will remove the VPN client and from there you can reinstall it, certificate was already present and I only had to type username and password, connected then

Per Ljungstrom

Also an inaccurate answer, as PA does not provide a download for the program. Says right in their site.

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/globalprotect/6-0/globalprotect-app-user-guide/globalprotect-app-f...

For this reason, there is no direct GP app download link available on the Palo Alto Networks site.

• 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!