Firewall syslog timezone

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Firewall syslog timezone

L1 Bithead

From my understanding, the timestamp within syslog messages from the Palo Alto firewall are based on the time zone configured on the firewall. However, the syslog message does not include what that time zone is, which can cause problems for SIEMs and other log ingesting devices. Is my understanding of this correct? And if so, is there a way have the firewall include the timezone within the syslog message?

3 REPLIES 3

L0 Member

The syslog message times are based on times from the management or data plane for the firewall. The link below explains it.

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/8-1/pan-os-admin/monitoring/use-syslog-for-monitoring/syslo...

Understood. Is there a way to get the syslog message to include what timezone the timestamp is in?

I guess its not possible since no one replied? 

Seems dumb to me to have to set your firewalls to UTC to get logs into SIEMs. Most other platforms dont have this issue. 

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!