Getting the error "Unable to fetch external dynamic list. Couldn't resolve host name. Using old copy for refresh.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Getting the error "Unable to fetch external dynamic list. Couldn't resolve host name. Using old copy for refresh.

L2 Linker

We have PA 5250 which has configured with multiple EDL. Suddenly all the EDLs are failing that throws the "Unable to fetch external dynamic list. Couldn't resolve host name. Using old copy for refresh." As a workaround we rebooted the firewall and it resolved the issue. Looking for the experts advise to resolve this issue permanently.

6 REPLIES 6

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Kathiravan_R,

What PAN-OS release are you running? I've run into this issue on a past release on a few nodes and what I've found to fix the issue is two options:

1) Commit a change to the firewall. This for some reason got it working again 95% of the time without the following.
2) Restart the management. Keep in mind that this will kill off any unsaved candidate configuration changes that haven't been saved or committed and will sever management connections to the device while everything restarts. 

@BPry 

Thank you for looking into this issue. Currently firewalls are running on PAN OS 10.1.4-h4 version.

Error(Unable to fetch external dynamic list. Couldn't resolve host name. Using old copy for refresh) shows that there might be issue with the DNS because host resolution is not happening. How do I find it?

L0 Member

Hi

We also had this issue running PAN OS 10.1.5-h1, restarting management "fixed" the issue.

Regards

L2 Linker

For what it is worth, this issue still exists with PAN-OS 10.1.6-h6. Has anyone opened a case with PAN support?

I am also seeing this issue in 10.1.8 

L0 Member

Have this issue in 11.0.2-h2

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!