Global Protect and Bandwidth Considerations

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Global Protect and Bandwidth Considerations

L6 Presenter

Looking for feedback on what you all have experienced with GP VPN for a user count of over 2k users. 

Specifically what type of INet circuits that were needed.  What was the amount of bandwithd which was seen on the circuits?  Finally, is there any sort of way to limit the amount of bandwidth each host can consume?

2 REPLIES 2

L3 Networker

This isn't a function of the VPN client, but a function of your usage.  If you connect 2,000 people and use RDP @ 250Kbps then you would need a 500Mb connection (assuming they are all using this steady amount of traffic all at the same time).  If you have people using various applications such as Word, Excel, Outlook it will vary.  I would suspect that a 200Mbps Internet circuit would be fine.  Note:  This is a dedicated business class service from an actual ISP (such as Level3) and not a cable company or home user type service (think Comcast/TimeWarner or Verizon Fios).

I've never had to limit user speed on the GP vpn.  I don't see an easy option.

Sorry I guess I shoulda been clearer.  I realize it's not about the VPN per se, but it is because we're looking at not allowing split-tunneling.  So GP VPN users with a normal user count of 800-1200 with a high water mark of 2500 or so would have all their traffic coming down the tunnel.

This was my thoughts...

Today home users have 10Mbps to 1Gpbs home network connections.  I'm trying to understand the potential scope of impact if I turn split-tunneling off.  (Essentially what experience you guys have had.)  Is this a problem which really isn't a problem?

Today secured routes are only my corporate IP space all other traffic goes through a cloud service.  If I flip that migrate to GP VPN and turn split-tunneling off what general amount of BW do I need to account for?  If I'm at home and download a 3GB OVA that traffic now comes over VPN.  Add in users watching FB video or YouTube or really any other of today's web activities should I be concerned about that additional VPN load?

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!