GlobalProtect Authentication failed Error code -1 after PAN-OS update

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

GlobalProtect Authentication failed Error code -1 after PAN-OS update

L1 Bithead

We are on PAN-OS 8.0.6 and have GlobalProtect and SAML w/ Okta setup. It has worked fine as far as I can recall.   

However when we went to upgrade to 8.0.19 and any later version (after trying that one first), our VPN stopped working.   

The client would just loop through Okta sending MFA prompts.

On the web client, we got this error: "Authentication failed Error code -1" with "/SAML20/SP/ACS" appended to the URL of the VPN site (after successfully authenticating with Okta. 

2019-08-24_20-40-33.png

When I downgrade PAN-OS back to 8.0.6, everything goes back to working just fine. No changes are made by us during the upgrade/downgrade at all. 

Any advice/suggestions on what to do here?

16 REPLIES 16

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@garry_shape,

Since you are hitting the ACS URL it would appear that the firewall is sending the request, but it isn't getting anything back from Okta. I'd make sure that you don't have any traffic getting dropped between Okta and your firewall over port 443, just to verify something within the update didn't modify your security policies to the point where it can't communicate.

If communicate comes back okay you should really contact TAC and have them verify your configuration and work with you to ensure that everything is working okay. If it isn't a communication issue you'll need to start looking at packet captures and a tool like the SAML DevTools extension to see exactly what your response is and ensure that everything actually lines up. 

Is TAC the PA support? If so I did send a case in. 

As far as changes, would I be able to load configuration from old backup onto the newer OS to override any of those changes if there were any security changes for example? 

L0 Member
  • Old post but was hoping you may have found the solution to your error as we are experiencing the same thing. 

Did you find a solution? I am having the same issue as well.

Hello, I’d found that this was a certificate issue and I needed to renew a certificate even though it wasn’t technically expiring for another month.  

when you get this error, what does the system log say? It should be a very recent entry after you get the error. 

I am getting the following error, I re-posted because I should have taken some of the URLs out. It is strange it is not showing a user name.

Client '' received out-of-band SAML message: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><saml2p:Response Destination="https://xxx.gov:443/SAML20/SP/ACS" ID="idxxx" IssueInstant="2020-02-19T15:13:57.156Z" Version="2.0" xmlns:saml2p="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:protocol"><saml2:Issuer Format="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:nameid-format:entity" xmlns:saml2="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:assertion">http://www.okta.com/xxx</saml2:Issuer><ds:Signature xmlns:ds="http://www.w3

02/19 08:13:57

SAML SSO authentication failed for user ''. Reason: SAML web single-sign-on failed. reply message 'Reason: SAML web single-sign-on failed.'

Did you find the issue with the client <username> being empty @David_Worley ?

L1 Bithead

I am also facing the same issue with Panorama -> Prisma -> 10.0.4 version as well. Using the Prisma App provided in Okta portal. Any guidance or direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

PravinSingi_0-1615405548028.png

I had same issue on my firewall. resolved after re configuring ntp (time settings ). this was because of time difference between SAML authentication URLs and your firewall.  default maximum deference is 60s

L1 Bithead

Hi All,

Sorry, forgot to update this thread. Apparently, PAN doesn't support 'IdP initiated workflow' at the present.

Their recommendation is to create a bookmark and hide the original Prisma Access app.
Reference - https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000Cm2oCAC

Sadly, this didn't work for me. 

Thanks. You are right. Resolved by changing time.

L1 Bithead

Workaround:
Clone the Authentication Profile from Shared to vsys1 and change it on the GP Gateway and GP Portal.

NilsGab_2-1660804483065.png

NilsGab_3-1660804503138.png

Best regards Nils Johan

Hello, Did you change NTP servers or something else? Thanks

• 16 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!