Google Chrome Geolocation

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

Google Chrome Geolocation

L0 Member

Hi, we have been experiencing a strange problem and not 100% sure if it is the Palo causing this.  We use 2 ISP's and BGP, and have confirmed that our Geolocation is accurate, however when accessing google.com and using any map site including google maps it shows that we are located somewhere in Northern UK (we are in the US).  My question is, I know that content updates caused an issue with lookups, but not with your actual geolocation.  I added a app override for google, tried different DNS settings, and nothing seems to fix the issue.  I can say that using Windows 10 location services, with MS Edge and Bing you do get accurate results - so this seems to be related to google, chrome and their maps.  Has anyone ever seen an issue like this before?  If so, is their a URL category that needs to be added, or a way to force your location for maps?  I also do have proxy avoidance as a denied category (but enabled it to test, and no difference).  Thanks in advance!

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@AlonTabak,

Geolocation lookups are done by the device/service in question, so nothing on the firewall would be causing an incorrect geolocation lookup at the service side of things unless you were sending them out via an IP that was geolocated improperly.

Google much like Microsoft uses their own geolocation databases in my experience, so while everything may be reporting back properly it can still be wrong on their own database. Unfortunately I've never found Google to be responsive unless you have a workspace account and can actually open a ticket and feed it up that way. 

Just to verify in regards to your last post, there's nothing to really change on your end (short of being able to route the traffic via an IP that was properly recorded) that will fix a geolocation issue for another service. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Community Team Member

Hi @AlonTabak ,

I just tried using Chrome geolocation with GP VPN enabled and disabled on multiple gateways including US and overseas and my location never changed from my actual address. Perhaps this is a google issue. Have you tried using other devices within your network? 

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

L0 Member

Hi @JayGolf ,

Appreciate your response!  I checked again with our ISP's and BGP providers, and speaking with Palo again on the issue - it really does seem like a google/chrome issue.  We escalated with google, but they're not very responsive.  Do you know if it's possible to spoof your location using objects - regions - adding a location here, and then linking it to a policy?  thanks in advance!

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@AlonTabak,

Geolocation lookups are done by the device/service in question, so nothing on the firewall would be causing an incorrect geolocation lookup at the service side of things unless you were sending them out via an IP that was geolocated improperly.

Google much like Microsoft uses their own geolocation databases in my experience, so while everything may be reporting back properly it can still be wrong on their own database. Unfortunately I've never found Google to be responsive unless you have a workspace account and can actually open a ticket and feed it up that way. 

Just to verify in regards to your last post, there's nothing to really change on your end (short of being able to route the traffic via an IP that was properly recorded) that will fix a geolocation issue for another service. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!