cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

HA Link Monitor Issue

L3 Networker

Hi everyone!

I am having some confusion on HA Link Monitoring and Failover. I did exactly the same thing with video courses and Palo alto document guide but it still doesn't work

For context, i am monitoring my eth1/2 and eth1/3 for failover. So i shut down the G0/0 interfaces of the routers directly connected to them and still there's no failover. I even configured the ethernet interface in Palo Alto to "down" state but no good. Am I missing something here?

renzanjo11_0-1725417374901.png

renzanjo11_1-1725417398285.png

renzanjo11_2-1725417418512.png

Thank you in advance!

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

From reply for #1, that's the reason.

Link Monitoring keeps looking for link status of specified ports. To trigger it, you need to link-down that ports.

Try to unplug LAN cable on both ports, I believe it works. (icon will change to RED and fail-over should be occurred)

View solution in original post

L4 Transporter

Hi @renzanjo11 

In any virtual environment (like EVE-NG) the link status will not be down even you shut down the other ending port of the link.

In such use cases, for VM firewalls in HA you can use Path Monitoring as failover trigger.

Cheers,
Cosmin

Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem!

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

L5 Sessionator

I need two more information to answer your question.

Does the status of eth1/2 and 1/3 change to linkdown after you shutdown G0/0?

In another words, GREEN should be changed to RED as below.

2024-09-04 11 45 45.png

What is the device status of peer device?

Fail-over occurs only when peer device is ready for fail-over which means peer device have to be "passive" if you are configuring active-passive.

If it is other status such as non-functional, suspended, etc., it does not fail over.

Hi!

When I shut down the G0/0, my Palo Eth interfaces still shows green. 

The status shows active-passive

HQ-FW as active and HQ-FW-2 as passive

From reply for #1, that's the reason.

Link Monitoring keeps looking for link status of specified ports. To trigger it, you need to link-down that ports.

Try to unplug LAN cable on both ports, I believe it works. (icon will change to RED and fail-over should be occurred)

I tried removing the link and the port still shows green. Is there something wrong with EVE-NG? I am trying this with EVE-NG.

renzanjo11_0-1725428490514.png

renzanjo11_1-1725428528038.png

L4 Transporter

Hi @renzanjo11 

In any virtual environment (like EVE-NG) the link status will not be down even you shut down the other ending port of the link.

In such use cases, for VM firewalls in HA you can use Path Monitoring as failover trigger.

Cheers,
Cosmin

Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem!

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Ah, you are using PA-VM, I thought it is related to hardware appliance.

Even I'm not familiar with EVE-NG, seems EVE-PRO provides the feature related to link state.

If this doesn't work, maybe using path monitoring is easier than link monitoring.

https://www.eve-ng.net/index.php/documentation/professional-cookbook/

2024-09-04 15 00 35.png

Hi @emr_1 , yep! This one is available on the pro i believe. But I resorted back to Path monitoring instead since I got a VM firewall. Much less of a headache 😄 
Thank you very much!

Hi @CosminM , indeed! I tried path monitoring. Gave me much better reconvergence and failover. This is noted for VM deployments. Thank you very much! 

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!