hard disk specification??

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

hard disk specification??

L3 Networker

Hi all.

I’d like to know hard disk specification of every each PA appliances (include PA 5000 series).

What I want is a below.

hard disk size

Number of hard disk

HDD RAID configuration level

Also let me know, if you have more useful information about HDD.

Thanks.

Eugene.

13 REPLIES 13

L5 Sessionator

Hi Eugene,

With the exception of the 5000-series all devices have one 160GB hard drive.  None of the devices use a RAID configuration.  The 5000-series ships with one 120GB Solid State Drive, but a second can be added. 120GB or 240GB SSDs may be purchased and both must be the same size.

One point of clarification - when you add a second SSD hard drive of the same size to a PA-5000 device it automatically becomes mirrored in a RAID 1 configuration.

Cheers,

Kelly

Thanks for your answer. 

I have more question about that.

If hard disk should fail, PA will stop and lead to networks trouble. 

Don’t have any way to avoid network trouble when disk failed?

is it possible to order two disks with in RAID 1?(including all of products that PA500, 2000, 4000 and 5000)

Or do I need to purchase by voluntarily to avoid disk fail?

Thanks,

Eugene.

While the PA-5000 series ships with one drive, it is possible to order an additional drive, which as Kelly explained, will create a RAID 1.  You can order an additional 120 GB  or upgrade both to 240GB.  There is no RAID option for the PA-2000 series but it is possible to order a spare drive to have on hand in the event of a failure in a production unit.  It is not possible to purchase drives for the PA-500 or PA-4000 series devices as they are not customer swappable, and a drive failure will result in the RMA of the entire unit.

Hello nrice.

Thanks for your answer.

I have one more question about your answer.

You said that it is possible to order another disk for PA 2000 series.

If I order for existing customer, is it possible to extend disk configuration?

For example, current PA just has a 160G disk and I order one more 160G disk for PA 2000 series. Is it possible to extend with 320G for log???

I mean, it is possible to put together from 2 disks of 160G?

Please let me know how can I extend two disk for save log, If it possible.

And if it is impossible, how can I use spare disk??

It is only available to replace from failed disk to spare disk?

Regards,

Eugene.

You can't increase the drive size in the 2000 series  devices and the spare is to be used only as a replacement in the event of a drive failure. You may want to look into using Panorama for log storage or using syslog forwarding to a third party system.

Hi,

The original 160GB hard disk can store how many days reports maximum?

The number of days would depend on the size of the logs.  The logs fill the disk and when nearly full, the PAN deletes the older logs. You can check the current log size with the command >show system logdb-quota.

L4 Transporter

Slightly off topic, but hard disk related: If the hard disk in a PA were replaced by a SSD, would it boot faster ? Would it commit faster ?

Can I swap hard disks easily or are they prepared with a special formatting ?

First of all, the HDD is not a field replaceable unit. You would void your warranty. Second of all we have multiple partitions on the box and no utility for you to recreate the file structure.  Some new firewall product lines will ship with SSD in an attempt to improve reliability by removing any moving parts and going entirely solid state. But the existing product lines will retain the HDD. The speed issues you are dealing with are moreJava related than Disk IO.

Steve Krall

Skrall,

On the PA5060, the unit ships with the OCZ Deneva Drives.  We've had two failures and they are field replaceable using the overnight (from PA) drive. 

How come the HDD/SSD's being used isnt larger (but partitioned smaller for enhanced endurance regarding SSD's)?

Im thinking of (given current prices) Samsung 830 256GB or 512GB looks interresting.

Or for 3.5" solutions then Western Digital Red SOHO 3TB?

There is an ongoing endurance test being runned at SSD Write Endurance 25nm Vs 34nm - Page 198 to find out how different brands behaves (some Intel SSD have already failed).

I have heard from various sales reps that not purchasing the (Palo Alto Part #) OCZ Drives from a Palo Alto vendor may void the warranty of the system.  However with the "street" value of SSD's has dropped significantly.  I'd like to put some 265GB Vertex 4's in the system(s) we have to get the commit's down to sub 30 seconds.

• 13 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!