Heartbeat best practices

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Heartbeat best practices

L4 Transporter

What is the best practice regarding heart beat connection between and active and passive HA pair

7 REPLIES 7

L6 Presenter

Also configure at least 2 HA1 links to avoid split brain.

I usually configure management interface as HA1 backup.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

... and make sure that you connect HA1 and Backup-HA1 to independent switches. If you connect both to the same network devices an they go down you'd still have a split brain problem

@TranceforLife

I will definitlye check this out

@Raido_Rattameister

So are you talking about having two heartbeat connections

If firewalls are in same rack then connect HA1 ports directly and as mgmt ports see each other through switch anyway then configure mgmt interface as HA1 backup.

With this solution you don't have to burn dataplane port for HA1 backup plus mgmt port as HA1 backup sits on management plane not on data plane.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

@Raido_Rattameister

My PA's are in different building altogether. I was condidering using a fiber connection for the heartbeat not an ethernet connection to see if that helps

• 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!