How can I configure Palo Alto for static IP via MGT cable? No network access.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How can I configure Palo Alto for static IP via MGT cable? No network access.

L0 Member
3 REPLIES 3

L0 Member

We had a lightning strike and our Palo Alto got fried. I have a replacement Palo Alto but the ISP is Spectrum Fiber and requires setting a static IP address within Palo Alto. Can I utilize the MGT port/cable to populate and configure the static IP info? Thanks for the help! 

Community Team Member

Hi @Schioppa ,

Are you trying to configure a static IP address on your WAN interface using the CLI over the mgmt interface?

Ideally you'd want a backup config of your fried firewall to start from. Any chance you can import that config ?

Also wondering if you have GUI access via the mgmt port ? In the GUI you can navigate to the Network tab > Interfaces and configure a static IP there.

Using the CLI it's also possible (example shown for ethernet1/3) :

admin@pa-vm> configure
Entering configuration mode
[edit]
admin@pa-vm# set network interface ethernet ethernet1/3 layer3 ip x.x.x.x/x

Note you'll also need to assign a security zone, a VR, likely also NAT and a security policy to be of any use though.

Kind regards,

-Kiwi.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

I  don't know the hardware you are working with but these instructions should help.  

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/hardware/pa-400-hardware-reference/install-the-pa-400-firewall/set...

Douglas Elliott
Security Implementation Engineer
delliott@sayers.com
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!