How to configure IPv6 advertising on PAN-OS 4.0.4?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to configure IPv6 advertising on PAN-OS 4.0.4?

Not applicable

I've set up a global IPv6 address on my interface on PA-2050 btu I can't find any place to advertise the network and router - info to the clients. How can I set up this?

CLI-commands?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Palo Alto Networks Guru

Hi Hankim,

In PAN-OS 4.0 we do not support router advertisement messages on our layer 3 interfaces (VLAN, L3, L3 subinterface).  So at this time you can only use static addressing to point to the firewall as the default gateway.  We will be addressing this in a future release.

Thanks,

Nick

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

L4 Transporter

The clients and routers on the same network use the link local address to communicate with each other, so if all the devices are on the same network then you do not need to advertise the global address to the client and routers. Hope this helps.

Thanks

Hi again,

What I@ve done so far:

I´ve added the following IPv6 addresses in to the config:

ethernet 1/2.50

2001:8C0:3210:128::1/64

ethernet 1/2.10

2001:8C0:3210:100::1/64

When I try to get a computer up and running with autoconfig on IPv6 on the network 2001:8C0:3210::/64 it doesn´t get an IPv6 address.

If I then put on DHCP relay to my DHCP server and put on a IPV6 scope I@m getting an IP address but I can´t ping 2001:8C0:3210:128::1.

Normally a client should be configured with an IPv6 address through a non-DHCPv6 based mechanism such as IPv6 address auto-configuration (based on the IPv6 prefixes included in router advertisements), or static IP address configuration.

For me it seems like my Palo Alto 2050 doesn´t announce the prefix and routing information to the clients? Is that correct?

How can I fix this?

Palo Alto Networks Guru

Hi Hankim,

In PAN-OS 4.0 we do not support router advertisement messages on our layer 3 interfaces (VLAN, L3, L3 subinterface).  So at this time you can only use static addressing to point to the firewall as the default gateway.  We will be addressing this in a future release.

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the update.

Looking forward for this update.

Please keep me posted when this is available:-)

- Kim

Will router advertisement messages be available in version 4.1?

We really need this for one of our customers.

Jo Christian

/Jo Christian

Palo Alto Networks Guru

Hi Jo Christian,

Router advertisements are not part of the 4.1 release.  A workaround will be needed for now.

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Will this be supported in the next release. Timeframe?

- Kim

Palo Alto Networks Guru

Hi Kim,

I'm sorry but I cannot make comments related to roadmap content or timing on this forum.  I can suggest that you speak to your account team to see if we'll have available spots in our next beta...

Thanks,

Nick

• 1 accepted solution
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!