i2c bootup errors (PA200)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

i2c bootup errors (PA200)

L4 Transporter

A friend of mine found a PA200 at a thrift store for $5.00 (without a power supply) I plugged it in today to see what state it was in and it looks like it had a rough life... All the guts are still inside and everything is clean and connected however it won't even get to the initial bootup MAINT prompt, anyone seen this before?

IMG_20200310_201325.jpg

Sometimes I get this bootup, most of the time I get hex output to the screen and the "board will reset" message in an endless loop, and sometimes all interface lights light up. The MGT port lights up and gets traffic blinks but I seriously doubt it is usable at this stage (I do not see it getting or having an IP this early).

I am going to hand it back to him and tell him he has a nice paper weight at this point but curious if anyone has seen these errors before.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L7 Applicator

Lots of unsupported things in the bootup.  did anyone mess with the memory? 

I don't have one to check, but it looks like the memory is exceeding specs.. and therefore not booting properly.. But I cannot say for sure.

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Joe
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

L7 Applicator

Lots of unsupported things in the bootup.  did anyone mess with the memory? 

I don't have one to check, but it looks like the memory is exceeding specs.. and therefore not booting properly.. But I cannot say for sure.

Stay Secure,
Joe

@jdelio Thank you! I don't ever think of that anymore but thanks to your post I was able to do some testing and link this to a bad stick of RAM. The device had to 2Gb DDR3 sticks in there for a 4Gb total, booting with the one 2Gb good stick resulted in it actually booting up but it would then shutdown and reboot over and over again. I popped an 8Gb stick in there and it boots up and is functional now. Not sure what the previous owner did but may have zapped the RAM sticks.

I was able to upgrade it from 7.1.4 to 7.1.24 but that's about all I can do without licenses. Unable to go past 8.x since I can't get app package to manually install Pretty sure there is still something else going on because it is fighting me on some things and likes to complain about not getting a config lock. I will keep poking at it for a bit and then just give it back to my friend and let him deal with it 🙂

@hshawn , that was great to find out that it WAS a memory issue. 

Glad to hear you got it to boot and make it work..  

But as far as updating, yeah, licensing can limit the functionality of it. 

Manual PAN-OS upgrade may help.. but config lock issues.. 

Good Luck! 

Stay Secure,
Joe
  • 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!