IPS - new signature's action set to default instead of the action specified in rule

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

IPS - new signature's action set to default instead of the action specified in rule

L6 Presenter

Hello.

I have a general IPS profile with a rule (named block-crit,high) which includes all signatures with severity 'critical' and 'high'. Action for the rule is set to 'block'. I have automatic updates on for IPS signatures. Yesterday a new signature (OpenSSL SSL/TLS MITM vulnerability) was released with severity critical. When I checked my IPS profile today i noticed that signature was correctly included in above rule (block-crit,high) but the action for this signature was set to 'default (alert)' despite the action for rule being 'block'.

Is this expected behaviour? Are all new signatures set to default action? Can you set new signatures to block?

pa-ips.jpg

Best regards,

Simon Antonic

19 REPLIES 19

santonic

To add to the thread, the rules order in Vulnerability protection profile depends on the action field. For a given signature, the action taken is the most strict action match.

Thanks

Yes, I understand how security policy and security profiles work. I was just wondering about rules inside specific security profile in cases when one signature matches more than one rule.

So far I got 2 answers:

- rules inside security profile are matched from top to bottom

- action is set by the most strict rule for given signature

Can someone confirm which is correct?

santonic

The action is set by the most strict rule for given signature. This was confirmed by the product management team.

Thanks

Cool, thanx for confirmation!

tshiv

We did some testing and we found out that rule order does matter in IPS profile. So if a signature matches 2 rules, the action will be set by first rule it hits, matching the rules from top to bottom.

• 19 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!