Log retention

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Log retention

L4 Transporter

how long will our firewall  keeps logs locally. when i run this command "show show system logdb-quota it's show the Traffic Log is for 26 Days. it means the normal user traffic logs will keep maximum 26 days , right Please Suggest 

Joshan_Lakhani_0-1589308200110.jpeg

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

The length of time answer is 'it depends'. I know I'm not a fan of it as well. However it depends on the model of the PAN you are running and how much disk space was located to the logs partition. Basically more traffic = more logs = less days of retention.

Regards,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

The length of time answer is 'it depends'. I know I'm not a fan of it as well. However it depends on the model of the PAN you are running and how much disk space was located to the logs partition. Basically more traffic = more logs = less days of retention.

Regards,

thank you for your response 

what is mean by current Retention = 26days ?

My PAN Model is 3220  and i have allocate 35G  for traffic logs

Hello,

Not sure I understand what you mean by your question:

"what is mean by current Retention = 26days ?"

To clarify what I was saying, the more traffic that flows through the firewall, the more logs are generate, so more space is taken up by the logs. It's almost impossible to gauge how much retention you will get.

Hope that helps.

Hello,

Also I would suggest you offload the logs to a SIEM for longer retention and analysis purposes. Also historical data if the PAN should wipe out its logs or the unit needing to be replaced.

Regards,

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!