Logs Retention

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Logs Retention

L2 Linker

Hello Guys,

Just have few questions, is it possible to clear a specific set of logs? e.g. I want to clear the logs from January to March only and retain the logs from April onward. I asked this because some clients do not want to lose all the logs for some reason.

thanks guys. Smiley Happy

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L7 Applicator

Hi Hart,

It is not possible to clear logs based on a specified date range. Logs are aged out by size and will remove the oldest logs first. You can see the size of your current logs and your total disk space reserved with these two commands in CLI:

> show system logdb-quota

> show system disk-space

Hope this helps!

Greg Wesson

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

L7 Applicator

Hi Hart,

It is not possible to clear logs based on a specified date range. Logs are aged out by size and will remove the oldest logs first. You can see the size of your current logs and your total disk space reserved with these two commands in CLI:

> show system logdb-quota

> show system disk-space

Hope this helps!

Greg Wesson

L5 Sessionator

Hi Hart,

As Greg said there is no command clear the logs partially but as a work around

If you resize the partition, and commit and then size it back after the commit, you should essentially remove the last the oldest logs.  For example if you have 1 GB of traffic logs, resize the partition to 500MB, and commit, you will remove the oldest 500MB of logs. But again doing this you might delete the logs that you wanted to keep.

Hopefully  this helps.

Thank you

Numan

L2 Linker

Thanks Greg and Numan,

I understand. I hope in the next OS update the feature will be available. Smiley Happy

-hart

Hi Hart,

Currently i have checked on the 5.0.1 system as well and this is not available in that OS as well. I would suggest that if you find this useful in your environment you should ask your sales Engineer to file a feature request on your behalf. This way they can track it as well.

Thank you

Numan

This is a basic requirement and it's simply amazing that it's not impemented. Incredible.

Hi AFN.Paul,

I think you should check with you Sales Engineer so he can verify for you if the feature was filed for it and if it is in plans.

Thanks

• 1 accepted solution
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!