Managing Windows Services

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Managing Windows Services

L2 Linker

Ok, so this may be a stupid question, but I have a server that has a web service running under a domain\webservice account.  I want to define a security policy for the service, but the firewall does not consistently get the correct user.  After a reboot the user is right, but if I sign on to the box the user becomes me instead.  I have tried the tsagent to see if it will assign it a port range, but it does not.

I just cant seem to provide a consistent way to track the server user to write a policy around it.  Any thoughts?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@bschaper,

That's kind of working as designed. The ip-user-mapping can only have a single user assigned to an IP address at any one time, so as soon as you login to the server it will show as you instead of the service account. You would need to create a feature request if you want to have the ability to assign multiple users to the same IP address, but just as an FYI that would be a pretty major overhaul of how user-id is tracked on the system since the current system couldn't actually support that. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@bschaper,

That's kind of working as designed. The ip-user-mapping can only have a single user assigned to an IP address at any one time, so as soon as you login to the server it will show as you instead of the service account. You would need to create a feature request if you want to have the ability to assign multiple users to the same IP address, but just as an FYI that would be a pretty major overhaul of how user-id is tracked on the system since the current system couldn't actually support that. 

@BPry thanks. I kind of thought that would be the case.  It seems to me that is a bit short sighted. Who never logs into a box to support it...

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!