multicast test

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

multicast test

L4 Transporter

PA is using cisco switch as external RP. Over a system I start the stream on VLC but I don't see the multicast address in multicast FIB. System is connected to network that is directly behind firewall. I use this tool multicast test tool (https://community.arubanetworks.com/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MID=21729) I see the entry of address in multicast FIB table and also on the switch mroute table. and also in the firewall logs when running the same tool as receiver in switch network. 

I have tried with vlc a number of time but it never worked. Does anyone know of another better testing tool that can continuously generate multicast traffic preferably from a video source. 

1 REPLY 1

L0 Member

Sorry for thread necromancy but hopefully this will help others...
VLC will work as multicast video source - the issue is that by default VLC sets TTL to 1 - so it wont route - i.e. local segment only

You can check VLC docs/forums for updated info but IIRC you used to have to launch vlc from cmd line (no ttl option in GUI) with a -ttl parameter (e.g. -ttl 64)

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!