Object references - 'where used'

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Object references - 'where used'

L0 Member

Hi all,

I'm new to the Palo Alto's, having cut my teeth on Stonesoft, Checkpoint and Sophos.

One nice feature in those solutions was the ability to select an object (of any type) and be able to list everywhere that it was being used - from policies to groups.

I've not yet seen a way of mimicing this in PAN-OS 6.0. Is there a way, or a work-around, to achieve this?

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5

L4 Transporter

one way is to attempt to delete the object and it will give you all the rules it is used in. but there is no 'where used' button

L2 Linker

There is no way to do this currently.  There is a sorta/kinda workaround found over here:  How do I find out every place an object is used?

That page also has the feature request ID so you can contact your SE and vote for this to be added to PAN-OS.

L0 Member

Hi guys,

thanks for your answers - looks like Palo could do with following Checkpoints 'where used' and Stonesoft's 'References' functionality.

L7 Applicator

Please vote for FR ID : 1285 which would add "where used" functionality that is not currently available.

Right now I use the following technique on the CLI configuration

Change the display of configuration to set mode:

set cli config-output-format set

the pipe the configuration to match with the address object name

show vsys | match net-192.168.1.0-24

this pulls out all the set commands that contain the object name.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

L4 Transporter

As everyone said, you need to vote on the FR.  Until then, the only way to accomplish this is to use the search bar at the top of the policy.

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!