P-A 220 Firewall - Basics

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

P-A 220 Firewall - Basics

L1 Bithead

I recently joined a company that has some P-A 220 firewalls.  I have access but for now it's "read-only" whilst I am learning,  I am trying to find my way around the GUI web interface but even looking up a device by MAC address doesn't seem obvious.

Is there a end user guide or manual that might help me become familiar quicker with navigating the interface?   If not I guess I'll figure it out and ask around the company for some help 🙂

Thankyou

6 REPLIES 6

L1 Bithead

i.e when I try to create a filter for a MAC address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX   the search just gives "syntax error" 

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

You can use command "find command keyword keyword" to find cli commands.

For example "> find command keyword arp"

"> show arp ?" will show you suboptions of arp command.

To filter out mac you can use part of the mac address with match:

"> show show arp all | match b2:3d"

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

Hi and thanks for replying to my post 👍

I have only http access to the firewall so within the GUI web interface, I don't see somewhere to enter console commands like you mentioned.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

What exactly do you need to accomplish?

There are few troubleshooting tasks you can do from GUI (Device > Troubleshooting) but for checking arp you need CLI.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

L1 Bithead

We recently had a video intercom fitted, it's on a VLAN which goes through the firewall and onto a WAN.

The device (of which I have IP and MAC) is having trouble reaching it's SIP registrar  cybergate.cybertwice.com  

I'm hoping to see whats being blocked, so I can suggest the changes needed/rules to allow the traffic

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @ibuildp ,

In response to your question about an end user guide, the online Administrator's Guide is very well written -> https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/10-1/pan-os-admin/getting-started.  You should be able to quickly navigate to the features you need.  Also, the free Firewall Essentials course on https://beacon.paloaltonetworks.com is very good.

Thanks,

Tom

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.
  • 6 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!