PAN-DB Evaluation - How to switch over with minimal impact?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PAN-DB Evaluation - How to switch over with minimal impact?

L4 Transporter

We want to evaluate PAN-DB.

We have the eval license downloaded.

What I'd like to know is, if I hit "activate" in the Web GUI will it immediately kick in, or will it need a commit?

Basically I'd like to know the smoothest way to change over with minimal impact to our end users.

Thanks Smiley Happy

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L5 Sessionator

When you click "activate", there are a number of things that happen in the background, mainly depending on whether or not you previously were using BrightCloud.  Generally speaking, though, the "activate" button initializes the PAN-DB cache on your device.  If you previously used BrightCloud, that means removing BrightCloud components and converting your URL filtering policies from BrightCloud to PAN-DB.  All of this happens in the background, followed by an auto-commit.

You can read more details about the activation process here:

PAN-DB Activation/Installation

If you are in a managed environment, more details can be found here:

BrightCloud to PAN-DB Migration Process with Panorama

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

L5 Sessionator

When you click "activate", there are a number of things that happen in the background, mainly depending on whether or not you previously were using BrightCloud.  Generally speaking, though, the "activate" button initializes the PAN-DB cache on your device.  If you previously used BrightCloud, that means removing BrightCloud components and converting your URL filtering policies from BrightCloud to PAN-DB.  All of this happens in the background, followed by an auto-commit.

You can read more details about the activation process here:

PAN-DB Activation/Installation

If you are in a managed environment, more details can be found here:

BrightCloud to PAN-DB Migration Process with Panorama

Perfect thanks - so basically just hit "Activate" and sit back and relax?

Sure - are you evaluating this on a production device, or do you have a device in TAP mode?

Production.  Nothing too bizarre by way of policies - my main concern was if any manual intervention was needed as part of the "remapping" process.

Mapping from BrightCloud to PAN-DB is pretty straightforward, unless Panorama is involved, as there are some things to look out for in regards to how you may have things setup.

No this is literally just a single unit.  I didn't want to find I hit activate and everything would be blocked until I did "something else" (didn't seem to be the case but better safe than sorry and ask)

• 1 accepted solution
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!