PAN-OS 10.2 on PA-220

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PAN-OS 10.2 on PA-220

L4 Transporter

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anybody had any experience of 10.2 on PA-220 I am thinking of upgrading and haven't heard anything concrete either way.

As always thanks in advance for any help.

PCCSA PCNSA PCNSE PCSAE
13 REPLIES 13

Community Team Member

Hi @laurence64 ,

It's still very early to say.  The OS is brand new and it's obviously not yet a recommended release as per the software release guidance page:

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/customer-resources/support-pan-os-software-release-guidance/ta-...

Is there a particular reason why you would like to upgrade to 10.2 ? A specific feature or fix that's critical for you and is available in 10.2 ? If you don't really NEED the new features then I'd advice to stay on a more stable/recommended version until an actual recommended release on 10.2.x is out.

Cheers,

-Kiwi.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

L1 Bithead

I am interested in this also. In previous versions of 10.x it was mentioned in Known Issues of poor GUI performance on a PA-220 (which I and others have experienced). There is no mention of this in the Known Issues of 10.2 I wonder if the performance issues have been resolved?

Hi@kiwi no I was more interested in if it had been trialled as it was not really mentioned during the webinars that I have been on, you are completely correct with the versions though, the first one is not always the best move.@stevegreen0 although as I say kiwi is right I have a colleague who has gone to 10.2 in a lab and says there is an improvement in gui response so it sounds positive but I think I will wait for the preferred version to be released.
PCCSA PCNSA PCNSE PCSAE

L0 Member

I upgraded and mine is acting great in a remote office with no issues.

I have to admit I know of a few people now that are running it and nobody seems to be having any major issues at all!

PCCSA PCNSA PCNSE PCSAE

L0 Member

Still some bugs, can these be reported via LIVEcommunity?

Performance seems good, commit maybe a bit quicker.

L2 Linker

Hi,

I upgraded our office PA-220 to PANOS10.2.0 anbd GP 6.0.0 about 3 weeks ago and we are having the following problem,

1) Device-telemetry we are getting error in the system log. Failed to send: file \'PA_xxxxxxxxxxxx_dt_10.2.0_20220303_1330_1-hr-interval_HOUR.tgz\. We still get the error after disabled this function.

2) Local or AD users cannot connect via GP. This started 2 weeks after the upgrade. Downgraded GP to 5.2.10 and this allowed the  users to connect again. Still busy investigating.

Lance

Have you opened a case with TAC ?

PCCSA PCNSA PCNSE PCSAE

I have the same issue with the Device telemetry.  I have not received an answer from Support.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @laurence64 ,

I upgraded mine a few weeks ago, and it was even slower than 10.1.  I then downgraded back to 10.1.  PAN-OS 10.0 and 10.1 have known issues with PA-220 slowness.  I didn't see any for 10.2.  So, I was hopeful.  Maybe I will try a later release if I see more positive feedback on this thread.

Thanks,

Tom

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

The PA-220 is nearing the end of it's support from a new major software update aspect. I wouldn't be surprised (cough, cough ... got a frog in my throat) if the next major release of PAN-OS drops the PA-220 completely. I wouldn't hold out that GUI performance or commit times would improve over what they already are. 

With that said, I've been running 10.2 since it's release on a home LAB unit and performance from a data performance standpoint has been perfectly fine. Certainly review the known issues on 10.2.2, but for non-critical environments or home equipment it's perfectly serviceable. Management functions are slow, but I wouldn't say it's noticably slower than what we already had on 10.1 once things settle down post upgrade. I also guess I can't say I spend a lot of time reviewing logs on the PA-220 though either since they all get forwarded to Graylog and the PA-220 log searching capabilities have been pretty slow since 10.0. 

L2 Linker

Disk usage for / exceeds limit... issue looks solved (PAN-193452) on 10.2.3. I am planning to upgrade from 10.1 to 10.2. Is anybody had any experience like slowness or issue on 10.2.3 or 10.2.3-h2?

I am just going to wait for my 400 to be delivered, the PA-220 has always been a little slow, but when trying to use one as a lab device (as I do) they can be frustrating waiting 5 to 10 minutes for each commit.

PCCSA PCNSA PCNSE PCSAE
  • 13 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!