Panorama 5.1 on VMWare Workstation 9.0

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Panorama 5.1 on VMWare Workstation 9.0

L1 Bithead

Has anyone got it to work?

I need to prototype a configuration for a customer who wants to move to 5.1, and all I have access to is VMWare Workstation 9.1. I thought that would not be a problem, but perhaps it is? I'd be working within the 30 day trial window.

Firstly, whenever I try to import the OVF file, I receive a message saying that the file does not pass OVF specification conformance, and fails to complete. So I create a new Workstation, using the 5.1 Admin Guide as a reference - SCSI LSILogic, 4G RAM, 64bit, 'Other OS' Linux 64bit Guest OS - and point the first disk to the vmdk file. But the system will not complete a boot - it just cycles continuously during the boot sequence. I've enabled all the bios settings necessary to run a 64 bit OS on VMWare Workstation Guests as well.

On a non-interactive boot, the last thing I see before the next reboot cycle is something to do with starting the system logger.

On an interactive boot, the last line I see is when I am asked to "Start Service panhw"

Am I on a hiding to nowhere here? Or should I be able to load up Panorama on a VMWare Workstation 9 system? And if so does anyone have any handy pointers to how I can either get this going, or how I can get more info on what's failing?

Luke Plaizier

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L4 Transporter

Panorama is tested and supported for the ESX platform and not workstation/server/player/fusion/etc. This has been the official support since the 5.0 release timeframe and should be specified in spec/data sheet as well as the Panorama admin guide.

I would recommend ESX for the PoC since it would be the actual production deployment platform and it will yield similar results/performance.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

L4 Transporter

Panorama is tested and supported for the ESX platform and not workstation/server/player/fusion/etc. This has been the official support since the 5.0 release timeframe and should be specified in spec/data sheet as well as the Panorama admin guide.

I would recommend ESX for the PoC since it would be the actual production deployment platform and it will yield similar results/performance.

A brand new build of an ESX environment is a bunch of extra work just to test Panorama that I was hoping to avoid. I understand that ESX is the 'official supported' solution.

I'll note you down as a 'No'. Thanks for the response.

Luke

L1 Bithead

I was finally able to get this to work, without the need to locate and install on a new hardware and a whole new environment just for ESX, using a nested free VMWare Hypervisor environment within VMWare Workstation.

Luke

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!