PANOS 7 on PA-2020 ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PANOS 7 on PA-2020 ?

L4 Transporter

Will it work ?

I don't mean like is it compatible.

I mean: Will it be manageable at all, seeing that version 6 is already a management nightmare ?

Is anyone on PA-2020/2050 on version 7 and what are the experiences ?

I see some changes that may be useful for alleviating management (eg Time-Based Log and
Report Deletion), but will it be enough ?

9 REPLIES 9

L4 Transporter

IMO, pressure your sales to get good deal for a  3000 series replacement.

I'd like that, but such deal should be reasonable:

We paid licenses/support up front, still a few years to go. But the remaining time is not fully reïmbursed !

At the same time they want to sell us a new product (investment) - sure, with discount, but it's a more expensive product in the first place! -

AND

new licenses/support for a new 3-year contract (exploitation).

Given that, I'm sticking with the PA-2020 for now, at least until the contracts expire (2017). If by then PA makes me a reasonable offer (remaining licence/support value will not matter anymore), I'll consider it. If not, it's time to change vendor.

I think you should insist, most customers around had great incentives to switch.

In the meantime I know no one with 20XX who switched to 7.0. I suspect there shall be little to no improvment there but I could be wrong

Trust me, I insisted...

The reseller can only do so much. In the end Palo Alto sets the terms.

Even our regional (Belgium) PA account manager wasn't able to go much further. Prices are set elsewhere (probably some dark office in the States 😛  ). I don't get companies who have a regional account manager who isn't allowed to change anything...

L4 Transporter

Your best excuse for having a PA2000 series 🙂

pa2000-commit.png

L3 Networker

7.0.2 runs on a 2k, in fact I have seen an improvement in commit times. 

How long have you had it running like that ?

Immediately after an upgrade (reboot), commit times are always better. Situation worsens with time.

My 2050s are unmanageable after about a week of uptime on 6.1.5.  Considering giving 7 a chance, could it get any worse???

We are stuck with our 2050s for at least a few more years, I may just have to roll back to 5x and take my chances.  We can't afford to buy new firewalls every few years. 

I have just upgraded my PA-2020 to 7.0.2. I was surprised!!! Management CPU hovering 'round 18% and commit times have dropped considerably. 

However, it's been on 7.0.2 for only 2 days, so IMHO, the jury is still out. 

• 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!