PANOS SDWAN VS CLOUDGENIX

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PANOS SDWAN VS CLOUDGENIX

L4 Transporter

Hello ,

I have a query .

When PANOS can do all SDWAN FUNCTIONS, WHAT IS THE ADVANTAGE OF CLOUGENIX ION .

.EVEN FOR BRANCHES ,PANOS SMALL BRANCH MODEL CAN PARTICIPATE IN SASE OR SDWAN , SO WHAT IS CLOUDGENIX USP ?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @FWPalolearner ,

1. I definitely would not go ION if they have PAN already.  PAN-OS SD-WAN is full featured,  The operational simplicity of using the same device for both is significant.  PAN-OS SD-WAN is the right choice for SD-WAN between PANW NGFW.  Prisma SD-WAN has advantages for other environments.
  2. PAN-OS SD-WAN has detailed visualization and advanced traffic steering.  Prisma SD-WAN adds more features, but I do not know the details.
  3. Yes, PAN-OS SD-WAN has to be managed from Panorama.  So, there is centralized management and monitoring.
  4. I don't know of any SD-WAN limitations of PAN-OS SD-WAN managed by Panorama.  I think the point was that Prisma SD-WAN has more features.

For this opportunity, I really would engage a PANW SE.

Thanks,

Tom

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thank you for the post @FWPalolearner

CloudGenix ION appliance (Prisma SD-WAN) provides certain benefits over PAN-OS SD-WAN. On the top of my head I can come up with a few points:

- Advanced traffic steering / traffic policies

- Seamless integration with Prisma Access

- Complete management of all IOS appliances from Prisma SD-WAN portal

- Easy plug & play initial setup of ION appliance

- Detailed visualization of traffic

Kind Regards

Pavel

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @FWPalolearner ,

The answer by @PavelK is excellent.  I would like to add a few pros and cons that I believe are accurate:

1. PAN-OS SD-WAN has more security features because of the NGFW.
  2. Prisma SD-WAN scales better because of the automated setup.
  3. Prisma SD-WAN is more complex.
  4. Prisma SD-WAN integrates with other vendors.  This page looks cool -> https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/prisma/prisma-access/prisma-access-panorama-integration/secure-sdw....
  5. Prisma SD-WAN integrates with Prisma Access.

Thanks,

Tom

L5 Sessionator

To add even more color:

Prisma SDWAN is cloud managed, so you are able to globally manage policies and setup natively. 

It is autonomous, so when you configure a policy on how to steer traffic, no other intervention is required (set and forget, it's nice!)

The 3rd party tie ins are nice, what if you wanted to automatically import link down information and open a ticket in servicenow? All supported

Help the community! Add tags and mark solutions please.

L4 Transporter

Thanks all for your inputs . the point i am trying to understand is - A customer has 100 PAN FWs all accross the globe . and they want to use same hardware for SDWAN ; They are currently evaluating Fortinet FWs also which provides FW+SDWAN functionality . Why would a customer go for ION if they have PAN FW already .? 

FORTIOS provides detailed visualization and advanced traffic steering . So you mean PANOS lackks in it ?

Even PAN can be managed from Cloud Panorama ? 

Do you mean managing PAN ( orchestration) via cloud Panorama has limitation from SD WAN perspective ?

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @FWPalolearner ,

1. I definitely would not go ION if they have PAN already.  PAN-OS SD-WAN is full featured,  The operational simplicity of using the same device for both is significant.  PAN-OS SD-WAN is the right choice for SD-WAN between PANW NGFW.  Prisma SD-WAN has advantages for other environments.
  2. PAN-OS SD-WAN has detailed visualization and advanced traffic steering.  Prisma SD-WAN adds more features, but I do not know the details.
  3. Yes, PAN-OS SD-WAN has to be managed from Panorama.  So, there is centralized management and monitoring.
  4. I don't know of any SD-WAN limitations of PAN-OS SD-WAN managed by Panorama.  I think the point was that Prisma SD-WAN has more features.

For this opportunity, I really would engage a PANW SE.

Thanks,

Tom

@TomYoung Thanks Tom . This is clear .

• 1 accepted solution
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!