PBF conflict with "ip strict option" in zoon protection

Announcements

ATTENTION Customers, All Partners and Employees: The Customer Support Portal (CSP) will be undergoing maintenance and unavailable on Saturday, November 7, 2020, from 11 am to 11 pm PST. Please read our blog for more information.

Highlighted
L1 Bithead

PBF conflict with "ip strict option" in zoon protection

Hi All

i have a scenario where the traffic works fine if it's forwarded by the routing table (and nat is applied)

when i used pbf, it didn't work, checking global counters i found oacket are dropped and the reason is "strict ip" option in the zone protection profile.

I run debug flow basic and got this message : 

"source ip address in packet does not belong to interface address, packet dropped" 

unchecking this option fixed the issue.

I did little research on this option and found it's releated to malformed packets not spoofing 

we have spoofing check enabled but it's not affecting the operation (tried disabling it but everything is same)

So i see strict is making the spoof check but on the return traffic . Is that normal ?! 

PAN OS 9.0.9-h1

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
L1 Bithead

The s2c traffic is dropping because of Strict IP is failing due to the source IP address is not routable over the exact ingress interface. The firewall decides if the address is routable by checking the routing table to see if a route exists for the server to use that interface.

Disabling Strict IP Address Check would allow the s2c traffic through the firewall, but it also introduces a security risk for that zone as well.

A better solution would be to add a route for the server address to use that interface. This would allow Strick IP Address Check can stay enabled and the routable check to succeed.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Cyber Elite

@Mostafa-Elmokadem 

Please see below document.

Also Recommended version for 9.1 is 9.1.4.

Regards

Mahesh

MP
Highlighted
L1 Bithead

@MP18 

I couldn't see any document below , could you please share it. 

For the PAN OS , customer is still running 9.0 , is this topic related to the upgrade to 9.1 ?

Thanks

Highlighted
L3 Networker

Hi,

from the little infos you wrote on your problem i will say, you have a problem with the returning traffic.

just use "enforce symmetric return".

Highlighted
L1 Bithead

Hi @Abdul-Fattah Thanks for your reply . We tried already, result is same . We had to uncheck "strict ip" .

Why "strict ip" is affected by the routing,! isn't it for malfored packets/reserved IPs ,.. ?

Highlighted
L3 Networker

as you can see below Stict Ip check can affect Incoming packets and match the error desc you were seeing

Abdul-Fattah_0-1600770629214.png

Highlighted
Cyber Elite

@Mostafa-Elmokadem 

Not related to upgrade it is just suggestion.

Here is link to document

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClzeCAC

Regards

MP
Highlighted
L1 Bithead

Hi @MP18 , thanks for your reply. Yes, spoofing is understanable but "IP strict" isn't 

@Abdul-Fattah  thanks for sharing the defination for "IP strict", but as per the defination, this might happen only on the ingress interface, for our case c2s is counting while s2c is zero, until we uncheck "strict ip"!

Thanks again

Highlighted
L3 Networker

Thats exactly what should happen.
Glade that it works now.

Good Luck.

Highlighted
L1 Bithead

@Abdul-Fattah  yeah it already works with disabling "strict IP" so this is my question , why should i disable it ? even with the guide you shared it might only affect ingress interface

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!