PC connected to Management Port

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PC connected to Management Port

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Need to know this--- when we plug the Laptop on Management port and assign it ip 192.168.1.3 we can then access web gui 192.168.1.1 how?
normally management port is up when you connect that it to switch that make sense to me.

but here it is connected to PC with IP 192.168.1.3
Here both ends of the cable are connected to PC and PA management port.
Hope my question makes sense.

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.
2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@MP18,

This works on pretty much any device, not specific to PAN. The devices simply communicate directly, they don't need a switch to do so. 

View solution in original post

Hello,

They connect because they are on the same vlan. so only layer 2 comes into play. Same thing as BPRy stated, its the same thing just so switch involved.

Regards,

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@MP18,

This works on pretty much any device, not specific to PAN. The devices simply communicate directly, they don't need a switch to do so. 

I agree on this tha it works on any device.

Can you please explain in more detail how it works when directly connected?

MP

Hello,

They connect because they are on the same vlan. so only layer 2 comes into play. Same thing as BPRy stated, its the same thing just so switch involved.

Regards,

Why do you think it would not work?

It's the most basic network you can have "Back-2-Back / 2Node"

Rob

I  know it will work just wanna know logic behind it,

MP

Logicaly?

It's a two node network simple as that, no more to it. 

Only when you need 3 or more nodes do you require a "Concentrator" be that a HUB or SWITCH, both of which just forward packets one more effifiently than the other.

If you use "10Base-2" rather than "10xxBase-T" you don't even need a Hub/Switch to connect multiple PC's together.  But that's in the "Good Old Days"

Rob

Thanks for replying.

MP

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!