PCI and WSUS

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PCI and WSUS

L0 Member

I need to create rules for a PCI firewall for a WSUS server. Microsoft does not publish IP's for their update points so this is problematic on a PCI firewall (or it seems to me). I can either:

1) create a rule which allows the server out to "any" using port 80 and 443

2) use url filtering (I'm new to the box and it seems this opens the network to all traffic outbound for 80 and 443)

3) try to devise a rule which will allow the server to go out using only the "url's" given by Microsoft

It's my understanding that you can't (aren't supposed to open traffic inbound/outbound for PCI for "any" so solution 1 seems not doable. Has anyone been able to create/solve this so as to meet PCI rules and if so how? (I'm using 5020's btw)

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L3 Networker

There is an application type "ms-update", so as long as DNS is trustworthy, you can use that application in a rule:

Allow updates {

from [ trusted];

to [untrusted];

source [ any ];

destination [ any];      <--- you could setup internal wsus servers

service [ application-default ];

application [ ms-update web-browsing ];   <--- it is dependant on web-browsing

action allow;

log-end yes;

disabled no;

option {

disable-server-response-inspection no;

}

source-user [ any ];

category [ any ];

hip-profiles [ any ];

log-start no;

description Access windows update;

negate-source no;

negate-destination no;

tag [  ];

log-setting ;

}

Of course you'll need an outbound nat as well.

Back to PCI, you should consider setting up internal WSUS and use GPOs to point internal servers at it.  Then you don't have to worry about PCI scoped servers running off leash in the Internet.

Cheers,

Mike

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L3 Networker

There is an application type "ms-update", so as long as DNS is trustworthy, you can use that application in a rule:

Allow updates {

from [ trusted];

to [untrusted];

source [ any ];

destination [ any];      <--- you could setup internal wsus servers

service [ application-default ];

application [ ms-update web-browsing ];   <--- it is dependant on web-browsing

action allow;

log-end yes;

disabled no;

option {

disable-server-response-inspection no;

}

source-user [ any ];

category [ any ];

hip-profiles [ any ];

log-start no;

description Access windows update;

negate-source no;

negate-destination no;

tag [  ];

log-setting ;

}

Of course you'll need an outbound nat as well.

Back to PCI, you should consider setting up internal WSUS and use GPOs to point internal servers at it.  Then you don't have to worry about PCI scoped servers running off leash in the Internet.

Cheers,

Mike

I second the internal WSUS server. Much easier to work with Internally.

thank you very much msullivan, I had looked in the apps before but looked for things like "windows update" and "wsus;" never thought to look for just that. That did the trick and we are able to get out and trouble shoot the rest of the stream. Again thank you for your timely response!

Gerry

L3 Networker

Your welcome Gerry,

BTW, check out Application Research Center for lots of app-id goodness.

Cheers,

Mike

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!