Redistribution host address between protocols

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Redistribution host address between protocols

L1 Bithead

Dear experts

I set a PA firewall as an ASBR, connects to a RIP and a OSPF area with eth1/1 and eth1/2 respectively. And created 2 loopback interfaces on PA, advertised them into RIP and OSPF respectively. Then I can reach them within RIP and OSPF area separately. Now I create redistribution profiles RIP-2-OSPF and OSPF-2-RIP, and apply them to OSPF and RIP. Finally, I only can reach the loopback address on cisco routers in two areas each other, but can't see the loopback address on PA. That is to say, I can't reach any PA's /32 host address which is advertised in RIP AS from OSPF and vice versa. Why? Any setting is missed by me? Thanks

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thank you for the post @DexinLi

if you are trying to redistribute loopback interface of the Firewall, then it is redistribution of connected route and not RIP/OSPF learned route. I would try to configure 2 redistribution profiles under: Network > Virtual Router > [VR name] > Redistribution Profile

then create one for Loopback.1 (select source type: connect and select: Redist) and another one for Loopback.0 (select source type: connect and select: Redist).

Finally, I would redistribute profile for Loopback.1 into RIP and Loopback.0 into OSPF.

You can confirm result by checking routing table of R1 and R2.

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@DexinLi,

Assuming that you're testing via ICMP, do you have an interface mgmt profile assigned that actually allows ICMP from the host you are testing from? Without a management profile assigned on the loopback interface the interface would appear to be unreachable.

L1 Bithead

Thank you so much, Gentlemen,  for your prompt reply

Let me illustrate my question with below diagram.

Loopback0 is advertised into RIP and pingable from R1

Loopback1 is advertised into OSPF and pingable from R2

Do redistribute between RIP and OSPF.

Loopback address of R1 is reachable from R2 and Loopback address of R2 is also reachable from R1.

But Loopback0 of firewall can't reach from R2 and Loopback1 of firewall can't reach from R1.

That's to say, loopback address of firewall can't be redistributed between protocols. Why? 

I test the same situation on cisco router, there's no problem. Any special settings is needed? Thanks

DexinLi_1-1650763526604.png

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thank you for the post @DexinLi

if you are trying to redistribute loopback interface of the Firewall, then it is redistribution of connected route and not RIP/OSPF learned route. I would try to configure 2 redistribution profiles under: Network > Virtual Router > [VR name] > Redistribution Profile

then create one for Loopback.1 (select source type: connect and select: Redist) and another one for Loopback.0 (select source type: connect and select: Redist).

Finally, I would redistribute profile for Loopback.1 into RIP and Loopback.0 into OSPF.

You can confirm result by checking routing table of R1 and R2.

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

Thanks a lot, Pavel.

Understand. Loopback interface of Firewall can't be redistributed as learned route by dynamic route protocol like cisco. Actually, I can advertise both lookback addresses into RIP and OSPF area in parallel and don't need worry about conflict issue. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!