Save named config

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Save named config

L2 Linker

I am fairly new to Palo Alto so please forgive me for asking dumb question. With respect to backing up config before upgrade, if I save it as 'mybackup.xml'  and something goes wrong with upgrade and I import it back in to restore, does the Palo Alto replace the running-config.xml file with my 'mybackup.xml' automatically ? Also what is the difference between saving as named config file with a generic name and saving running-config.xml? Is it purely the name.

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

So first backup the config:

Device Tab ->Setup -> Operations subtab

Save the named config

Export the named config

To Restore from exported config:

Import named config

load named config

commit changes

its the simplified steps.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Yes, when you load your backup config it will become the candidate config. Once the commit completes it will become the running config.

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

L3 Networker

Hi there,

The restoration sequence would be to load 'mybackup.xml' and then commit it. It is the commit action that would cause the existing running-config to be replaced with your backed up version.

A named config as you point out is simply that, and allows you to give it some meaningful name referencing its state for example, so long as it is within the character limit!

cheers,

Seb.

L7 Applicator

probably teaching you to suck eggs here but perhaps also export the named config.....   just in case.......

Many thanks Seb. Following the example mentioned, I assume PA updates 'candidate-config.xml' file with changes in 'mybackup.xml' first before updating 'running-config.xml' when commit happens?  

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

So first backup the config:

Save the named config

Export the named config

To Restore from exported config:

Import named config

load named config

commit changes

its the simplified steps.

Hope this helps.

Yes, when you load your backup config it will become the candidate config. Once the commit completes it will become the running config.

cheers,

Seb.

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!