Security Profiles on Deny Rules

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Security Profiles on Deny Rules

L1 Bithead

What is the best practice for adding security profiles to deny rules?  I like to add the URL profile to deny rules so I can see what URLs are being denied.  Who else adds security profiles to the deny rules and what benefit do you get? Has anyone had an issue with dataplane resources being consumed by using security profiles in deny rules?  -Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

L7 Applicator

Hi @JohnJones

Are you sure that you have URL logs from rules that have the another action than "allow"?

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

There is no reason to have these on deny rules as they wont give you any real info (since they are denied). Also thye will just eat up CPU. I only put security profiles on allow policies.

Regards,

@OtakarKlier wrote:

There is no reason to have these on deny rules as they wont give you any real info (since they are denied).

That's what I actually meant with my question 😉

@OtakarKlier wrote:

Also thye will just eat up CPU. I only put security profiles on allow policies.

This one I think is partly true. The session will be denied based on the security policy criteria. So for example if there is a deny rule based on zones, IPs and/or ports there won't be anything left that can be processed by the content processors (FPGAs). If you have a deny rule based on applications then there will probably some packets that can be checked with secueity profiles.

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!