Session count can't break 1025

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Session count can't break 1025

L0 Member

Hi all, I am running a VM-series on aws and it has a issue with session, it's cannot break 1025. I'm new to Palo Alto so there are many term i really don't understand. Some body please tell me what is Active Session? Is it Session count on UI? Why can't it break 1025?

ahcogn1_0-1689301370235.png

5 REPLIES 5

Community Team Member

Hi @ahcogn1 ,

An active session refers to a network connection between a source IP address and a destination IP address that is currently active or in progress. I think what you are seeing is the total session count visible on the session browser.

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Hmm but why it can not break 1025. I have tested so many time but it could not pass 1025

L4 Transporter

Hello @ahcogn1 

I would like to direct your attention to the VM series datasheet, which provides a comprehensive overview of the number of sessions the VM firewalls can support based on their capacity:

[VM Series Spec Sheet](https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/apps/pan/public/downloadResource?pagePath=/content/pan/en_US/resour...]

In addition, you can use the 'show session info' command from the firewall CLI to ascertain both the maximum number of sessions that can be supported as well as the number of active sessions.

Please ensure that the parameters you are monitoring to view session details are accurate.  When it comes to SNMP monitoring, below KB may find useful:

[https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClaSCAS]

Anoopkumar
Network Security Engineer

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@ahcogn1,

How exactly are you testing things? 1025 is suspiciously close to the 1024 sessions that are reserved for inline management sessions, which makes me wonder if you aren't just testing the management interfaces? 

You can also look at the maximums by running the following two commands and seeing what your meter and maximum values are displaying. I recall the active session limit for an unlicensed VM series being much lower than 1000, but maybe that has been bumped up and you just don't have a license active on your VM?

show session meter

show system state filter cfg.general.max-session

L0 Member

Check to see if the VM is licensed.  Without a license it should allow just enough for management function of 1025 sessions.

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!