System logs stalling same time every day

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

System logs stalling same time every day

L1 Bithead

On our PA3050 the system logs stall each day at 04:01 and then starts again at 20:00

I have verified this happens in both GUI and CLI

No scheduled jobs correlate with the timing of the logs stopping then starting

I have checked show system logdb-quota and everything looks fine

I have checked show system disk-space and we're fine on disk space

I have tried restarting log receiver process with no change - debug software restart process log-receiver

We can see other logged data (Traffic, URL, Unified, Threat )

I have a case open with PA support, but no suggestions I haven't already tried.

I haven't yet tried restarting management server process or tried clearing system logs in the GUI.

Should I try restarting management server process?  Since this is only affecting system logs I wasn't sure if that was the way to go. Also not sure how much time I should expect services to be unavailable while this is happening; and also don't want to do anything that might affect our other (traffic, URL, Threat, Unified) logs as this is a stand alone prod appliance.

Also not sure if I should try clearing system logs in Device -> Log settings -> clear system logs would that erase all system logs forever?

Any suggestions welcome.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@PatScott,

Restarting the management server doesn't take very long and I've never noticed missing logs after doing so. The restart would only effect management traffic, it doesn't effect production traffic processing at all.

Also not sure if I should try clearing system logs in Device -> Log settings -> clear system logs would that erase all system logs forever?

Yes, so if you aren't sending those somewhere else they're gone.

For a situation like this I always recommend starting with restarting processes and following it up with an actual device restart if that doesn't work to see if that fixes the issue. I'd get a maintenance window opened and give that a shot. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@PatScott,

Restarting the management server doesn't take very long and I've never noticed missing logs after doing so. The restart would only effect management traffic, it doesn't effect production traffic processing at all.

Also not sure if I should try clearing system logs in Device -> Log settings -> clear system logs would that erase all system logs forever?

Yes, so if you aren't sending those somewhere else they're gone.

For a situation like this I always recommend starting with restarting processes and following it up with an actual device restart if that doesn't work to see if that fixes the issue. I'd get a maintenance window opened and give that a shot. 

L1 Bithead

@BPry  thanks for verifying that.  I will start by restarting the management server process. As I understand it, that only affects ability to manage but doesn't interrupt data processing, so I can do that early AM.

Just wanted to verify that was the case.

This one really has me stumped, so appreciate getting help from experienced folks.

If we need to restart the actual device I can get a maintenance window.

Thanks for the reply.

So that worked so far -   debug software restart process management-server
I can now see system logs again.  Hopefully they don't stall again.

Thanks again

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!