The people complain about slow commit

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

The people complain about slow commit

L0 Member

Whenever we make a PoC, Everybody complains about slow commit.

As far as I know, the traffic is not effected during the commit.

But people request faster commit Smiley Happy

First, How can we explain slow commit to people technically.

Secondly, Is there any plan to improve commit process?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

L2 Linker

I must say I agree with this sentiment. I do realize that the production traffic is not being affected during the process, but it is disconcerting since this traffic is business critical and you're left wondering "is everything alright?" It a perception thing. Most high-end network gear saves changes significantly faster than this. My 2 cents.

Depends on what you are changing in your commit, and your hardware. A PA-500 is not as fast as a PA-4060.

Simple configuration changes to the policies go quickly. Changes to the app or threat database take awhile because the entire database must be recomplied. That is my understanding.

I Believe the choice is something like this:

Fast Save - Slow Performance all the time (With Features Enabled)

Slightly slow save - blindingly fast box with low latency with all features switched on.

With a slight reminder, that during a POC there are a lot of saves - in production, there are probably not so many.  So what appears to be an annoying problem goes away.

Also, the validation checks with things like rule shadowing alerts and so on that other devices just ignore and let you configure.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Thanks

James

Using 4050 and commit business is a hit or miss on my end. Sometimes it commits in 5 mins but lately I will be waiting for it and show jobs all will show 0% for a long time. It so maddenning when you are troubleshooting a rule and trying to get it fix asap. Is there any plan to help us fix this issue?

Now my commit takes close to 20 mins!!!!!!!

Are you running PANOS 4.05? Are you able to see the any resources spike, specifically the mgmtsrvr and devsrvr daemons? Are there any core files generated? Run the >show system files to determine if you have any new files ending in .tgz format? Otherwise, please call into PAN Support so we can document your case and proceed with troubleshooting @friento.

Regards,

Renato

Yes version 4.05. And no new file all I have is from Sept.

Will try to open support call.

Thanks for the update. If resources on the management plane is taxed, we'd love to take a look and debug on your behalf. 20 minutes is definitely not normal behavior.

Regards,

Renato

I stopped using IE and changed to Firefox. Still not as fast as version 3.x, but better than IE.

I was on the phone with a Palo Alto engineer once because we had a ticket for slow commits and during the phone call the example commit took 30 minutes with our 4050...

Imagine you are getting attacked at the application level... 10 minutes to modify/create a policy... 20-30 minutes for the commit...

• 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!