URL Categories - "Music" vs. "Entertainment and Arts"

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

URL Categories - "Music" vs. "Entertainment and Arts"

L2 Linker

Does anyone else feel like the Palo Alto URL Filtering categories "Music" and "Entertainment and Arts" have a lot of potential for confusing crossover?

Name: Music

Description:
Music sales, distribution, or information. Includes websites for music artists, groups, labels, events, lyrics, and other information regarding the music business.

Name: Entertainment and Arts

Description:
Sites for movies, television, radio, videos, programming guides/tools, comics, performing arts, museums, art galleries, or libraries. Includes sites for entertainment, celebrity and industry news.

As compared to Blue Coat's description for it's "Entertainment" category:

"Sites that provide information about or promote popular culture including but not limited to film, film critiques and discussions, film trailers, box office, television, home entertainment, music, comics, graphic novels, literary news, and reviews. This category also includes entertainment-oriented periodicals, interviews, fan clubs, celebrity gossip, and podcasts; and music and film charts."

Honestly I've never seen a URL filter that bothers with a seperate "Music" category.  Our firewall team has the mistaken impression that it's for streaming music which has upset some users.

3 REPLIES 3

L6 Presenter

I agree there can be some cross-over, but it seems Palo is trying to make a greater distinction that other Web Content Filtering services.

While I believe that BC's filtering services stomp the poo poo out of Palo's I think the distinction does make sense.

Here's a quick grab at what I'm seeing for "Music"

Music.JPG

Here's "Entertainment-and-Arts"

Entertainment.JPG

It seems that the latter is more regarding the delivering of content.  From what I can tell a lot of what I'm seeing as "Music" is really "Apple" stuff.

Hi Brandon,

That's the thing, the Palo Alto definition of their Music category specifically says that it's NOT for streaming content.  If it was (similar to Blue Coat's "Radio/TV Streams" categories) I wouldn't have a problem with it. 

We don't allow iTunes in our environment, and this is what I'm seeing for the "Music" category ( Rehearsal studios, song lyrics, someone buying tickets to "The King and I" on Broadway...)

music.gif

L0 Member

Le piratage sonnerie telephone est un gros problème dans le monde entier, mais surtout en Asie. Certains sites de sonneries vendent des sonneries créées avec du matériel protégé par des droits d'auteur sans verser de redevances aux maisons de disques ou aux éditeurs de musique

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!