using Azure MFA with Global Protect

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

using Azure MFA with Global Protect

L1 Bithead

Hello,

To configure Global Protect to use our already Existing MS MFA server, I followed this KB: https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClkkCAC 

I think I had to do one or two extra things as well, but in any case it's working.  However, it only prompts for the second factor if after I disconnect the Global Protect client, I go to Settings and click Sign Out.  If I don't sign out, when I reconnect, I am not prompted for the second factor.  Is this on some kind of timer or something?  I tried putting the machine to sleep, logging out, and rebooting it but none of those things caused it to prompt. Is there a way to get it to require the second factor every time I reconnect?

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Dylanroehrig,

Sounds like you are using cookie auth somewhere in your GP configuration. 

View solution in original post

@Dylanroehrig wrote:

Hmm, where is an example of someplace that might be?  I don't recall setting cookie authentication anyplace.

--> Global Protect Gateway Configuration --> Agent --> Client Settings --> Configs --> Authentication Override --> Accept Cookie for Authentication Override

Screenshot_20181027-232114_Chrome.jpg

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Dylanroehrig,

Sounds like you are using cookie auth somewhere in your GP configuration. 

Hmm, where is an example of someplace that might be?  I don't recall setting cookie authentication anyplace.

@Dylanroehrig wrote:

--> Global Protect Gateway Configuration --> Agent --> Client Settings --> Configs --> Authentication Override --> Accept Cookie for Authentication Override

Screenshot_20181027-232114_Chrome.jpg

Sorry, I forgot to come back and mention that i found the cookie settings in the GlobalProtect Portal config. Does it matter if I change it there, on the gateway, or both?

@Dylanroehrig,

If you don't want this behaviour just disable it on both. 

@BPry thanks, it seems to work fine by just disabling it on the portal but I'll remove on both to be on the safe side.  Thanks for your help.

L4 Transporter

this is the same behavior that we have and we do not use cookie authentication.

there is some kind of cookie that the GP using with the SAML.. probably Azure is signing the response for some period of time, and as long as the GP client store that signed cookie and if it valid it wont prompt with authentication.....

Need to ask you that on Portal you have Radius authen and on Gateway you have SAML from azure?

Also you have authentication override on both Portal and Gateway?

When you refresh or disconnect the client does it ask you for single authentication or both?

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

I have Azure setup on both the gateway and the portal. No cookies are being generated or used for this. I am having the same thing happen in my environment. Were you able to determine the cause for this on your side?

@minow 
I believe that I have found a solution to the Azure not wanted to re-auth users. Within Azure, we had to create conditional access that has session access control. In this section of the conditional access, we selected Sign-in frequency and set this to 1 hour. (Lowest amount of time we could select). Now it seems to be requiring our users to re-auth every hour if they have disconnected. It is my understanding that this won't cause re-auths to users who are still connected, just users who disconnect and then reconnect. 

Hope this helps. We have cert authentication as well as Azure with Duo MFA. 

Thanks for sharing the info.

Are you using global protect always on method?

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

We initially were not using the always on. We were just using the on demand. 

I have recently setup and tested the Always on. It works like a charm. Is there something that you are having issues with in particular? 

Sorry I missed this comment over the summer. 

@goepfrichb 

I found another way to do it..... under: Device --> Authentication profile --> enter azure profile --> under Authentication tab --> check the option "Enable Single Logout" 

this will do the work for logout global protect and azure at the same time

Good to know. Thanks for posting that information. 

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 20 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!