VM-100 under Dell PE2950 - and new suitable HW...

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

VM-100 under Dell PE2950 - and new suitable HW...

L3 Networker

Hi

We have had a VM-100 under VMWare 6.5 ESXi on a 32Gb Dell PowerEdge 2950 for a few years now.  We serve a 250 students' high school with dorms so the FW works around the clock...  Throughput has been ok with few complaints, but when I checked the monitoring on the VM this morning I saw that CPU load was alarmingly high.  See screenshot below. My impression has been that the good ol' 2950 coped relatively nice but after having seen this I think it's time for an upgrade.  What do you think..?

What do you suggest as suitable new hardware for our VM-100 with 400Mbit/s fiber access and 300 users..?  I dont want to buy a lot more CPU than the VM-100 in this scenario actually requires.  So which CPUs and amount of memory should give us most bang for the bucks?

Thanks a lot for comments 🙂

PE2950-VM100.png

1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@LCMember4427,

This is a conversation that I would generally have with your VAR, especially since your in the EDU market and you're likely able to take advantage of E-Rate and different vendors will give you drastically different discount percentages. Having 32GBs of RAM on a VM-100 is really overkill though, you'll never push that. Minimum memory requirements are just 6.5GB and even a VM-500 only requires 16GB. On Azure the default template assigns a D3 v2 instance primary for CPU and only gives you 14GBs of RAM. On the CPU front just don't do anything dual-socket, you'll get better performance out of a single socket machine.

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!