Whatsapp traffic cannot recognize in PA for iPhone user.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Whatsapp traffic cannot recognize in PA for iPhone user.

L2 Linker

Recently iPhone users only facing in WhatsApp "connecting" message, User could not send a message and make a call 

on corporate wireless network But, working in mobile network.
It was working before, day by day users facing this issue is increasing. Still WhatsApp working for some of the iPhone users on same wireless network. 

Tried IOS software update and WhatsApp update as well but no luck.

Same is working for all andriod users even on old version of WhatsApp.

in firewall end, WhatsApp traffic is cannot recognized as whatsapp-base for iphone. it shows as unknown-tcp.

No recent changes in our firewall end.

Thanks,
Sharthu
48 REPLIES 48

L2 Linker

Exactly the same problem on our side.

I opened a case.

L1 Bithead

Yeah we are experiencing the exact same issue. Workaround allow unknown-tcp over 5222. Anyone opened a TAC case yet?

L2 Linker

Exactly the workaround we use. Just waiting for my local reseller to know what to do.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@JANARTHANAN1392,

This issue is being heavily reported and will undoubtedly be corrected in an upcoming signature update. Unfortunately like any other application, PAN has to play catch-up on the signatures when the traffic is modified to no longer match existing signature patterns. 

Should this reported to PAN to get prompt signature update? What is their approach on this type of issue.@MarketMaker is already opened a case with PAN for same issue. 

This issue was started 2weeks back or us. But why PAN still catch this issue. 

Thanks,
Sharthu

Did you get any assistance from TAC? 

No answer at the moment. 

Hi Is there any update on this ? I'm also facing same issue.

L2 Linker

WhatsApp new update 23.16.0 fixed this issue. people can text and call now.

Thanks,
Sharthu

We have updated to Whatsapp version 23.16.0 and still not working

L1 Bithead

Hello,

When WhatsApp traffic on iPhone users is unrecognized by the Palo Alto (PA) firewall and displays as "unknown-tcp," despite no recent firewall changes, consider the following troubleshooting steps:

Update Application Definitions: Ensure the PA firewall's app definitions are current.
Traffic Analysis: Capture and analyze "unknown-tcp" samples to identify potential WhatsApp patterns.
Custom Application Signature: Create a signature in PA for the unrecognized WhatsApp traffic.
Review Security Profiles: Check for SSL decryption policies affecting iPhone or WhatsApp traffic.
Whitelisting: Temporarily allow 'unknown-tcp' traffic for iPhone users identified as WhatsApp.
Contact Palo Alto Support: Report the unrecognized traffic issue.
Inspect Network Devices: Ensure no devices like Load Balancers are altering traffic.
Reach Out to WhatsApp: Inform them of the issue affecting iPhone users.
Remember, setting up a controlled test environment can help isolate the issue without affecting all users.

Regards
Mia Smith

L1 Bithead

Hi friends,

Has anyone opened TAC case regarding this problem and got an answer? It seems to be a global issue.

L2 Linker

I gonna have a call with Palo support for my open case. I'll keep you informed.

L3 Networker

We are also facing the same Issue.Please let us know if any progress or update for this.

• 48 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!