Who has deployed dynamic address objects?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Who has deployed dynamic address objects?

Not applicable

What have you found to be the work effort involved and how did it work out?  Is this likely to be used often or just in some specific cases?

6 REPLIES 6

L6 Presenter

You mean a dynamic block list as described in ?

Or do you think of deployed dynamic address objects like FQDN instead of ip address?

Or somthing completely different?

I guess maybe she's talking about the dynamic object feature introduced in 5.0. Haven't used it myself, but it's useful for installations where you have ip addresses that changes a lot. An example could be data centers where virtual machines are moving around. So it's not really used a lot in most installations, but it's a nice feature. You can feed the dynamic object with the API.

Some more info can be found here:

Ahh sorry about that, I had forgot that feature 🙂

L4 Transporter

We have looked at the feature in 5.0 in our test lab and see a real opportunity to use it when we migrate our production boxes shortly.  Often we get a list of IP addresses that are related to bot-nets and it is suggested to block those destinations or at least track or alert if traffic goes there.  This is great if you have a small number of IP addresses but if you have hundreds it can be challenging using scripts to modify PA rules.  Here is where the dynamic objects would be used to pull in hundreds of IP address into a group to be used in a rule.

Additionally you could extract data out of your spam gateway (top spam senders or other bad traffic senders) and put it in a text file to be pulled into a group object on a regular basis. The ability to easily modify a text file of IP address and have them easily used by the firewall is a quite useful.  The text file has to reside on a web server (could even be your desktop).

But that sounds like that dynamic block list I linked to earlier or is it the same feature?

Yes it is. I was describing how it could be used.  Sorry about that.

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!