xbox-live traffic QoS and application classification

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

xbox-live traffic QoS and application classification

Not applicable

How are traffic and applications classified when using a service like xbox-live?

If Netflix is used via an Xbox is the traffic/app Netflix or xbox-live?

Thanks,

Mike

5 REPLIES 5

L5 Sessionator

Hi mike,

It should be identified as netflix. Is it not getting identified in your network ?

Thanks

I'm not sure...I need to keep investigating.

I just wanted to confirm that different apps are classified correctly even though they may be part of the same "service" like xbox-live.

Thanks

Hi Mike,

PANW checks multiple packet payload to determine application.

Lets say if X-box is sending traffic to NETFlix than its no different than computer accessing NETFLIX. Because packet Exchange is same.

PANW, firewall will detect that as NETFLIX.

Let me know if you have additional queries.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Hi Mike,

Let us know for additional queries.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

L4 Transporter

Hsash is correct.

We inspect the payload of application to further determine exactly what it is. So just because we are signed in with an Xbox-Live account and streaming Netflix to my Xbox, the packets regarding the Netflix stream will show plenty of information for the PA to properly identify it as Netflix.

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!