cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

PA-850 Software upgrade path

L1 Bithead

Hi all,

A bit confused on upgrading path for PA-OS. We are on Software Version 9.1.9 and are planning on upgrade to 10.0.11-h1. I was under the impression that you would want to download and install 10.0.0.0 first but mix input from other sources. The current method that was explained is to 

Download 10.0.0 and 10.0.11-h1 and 10.1.0 and 10.1.6-h6 Then 

Install 10.1.6-h6

I do not understand the point of downloading the 10.0.0.0 and not installing what is the point I am missing? If I am seeing it correctly you are just putting the it into flash but not actively implementing it. Any input is appreciated. 

D

5 REPLIES 5

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

You'll actually find the officially recommended upgrade path HERE. The firewall needs the base image to have all of the bits required to perform the upgrade, the maintenance releases don't include everything to save space and to limit the size of the download. When you have both images downloaded, the firewall actually needs to explode both images to form a functional installation image when you install your target release. 

L3 Networker

Install latest recommended 9.x.

Download 10.0.0 and then download and install latest 10.0.x. (it is confusing that 10.0.x is unsupported, therefore none is "recommended") yet you are still supposed to install a 10.0.x version as part of the upgrade chain.

Download 10.1.0 and then download and install latest recommended 10.1.x.

L4 Transporter

Hello,

All has been already said about the upgrade path.

I just invite you to check the change in behavior and the upgrade considerations for PAN-OS 10.0 and 10.1.
Also, you can check PANCast Episode 1 talking about upgrade PAN-OS.

Olivier

PCSNE - CISSP

Best Effort contributor

Check out our PANCast Channel

Disclaimer : All messages are my personal ones and do not represent my company's view in any way.

Thank you, I was confused because I thought you had to download and install the base 10.0.0.0 then move up the chain but apparently just downloading it includes some of the install not just in flash if I am understanding it correctly.....

Thank you.

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!