Restore Panorama after hardware failure

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Restore Panorama after hardware failure

L1 Bithead

How do I restore Panorama configuration?

I do a "Scheduled Config Export" every night.

Old Panorama VM had to be rebuilt from scratch.  No access to old VM.

I have rebuilt the VM from OVA.  When I try to "Import name Panorama configuration snapshot" per restore documents I get an error that the file is not an .xml.

What is the procedure to use the .tgz file created by the export?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

I did extract the file.  I discovered that the nightly  "Scheduled Config Export" that we do actually backs up Panorama and every firewall managed by Panorama.  I found the Panorama configuration in the list of extracted files.

I did the import and the load.  This got Panorama back up and working.

However, one item that was not working was log collection.  After much research and Palo support conversations I discovered that the config export does not contain the Panorama / Collector Group / Device Log Forwarding / Log Forwarding Preferences / Devices.  I had to manually enter these and do a commit/push of the Collector Group.  We also had to restart the management server process per the following KB which resolved the issue.https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClaGCAS

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thank you for the post @Joel_W

Have you tried to manually extract the tgz file? After you extract it, there should be a tar file that includes an xml file. You can use this xml file to import configuration.

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

L2 Linker

Hi @Joel_W 

Like Pavel said, you can extract the tgz file and you will get a .xml file

--Go to panorama -> Setup --> Operations --> Import named Panorama configuration snapshot --> Import the extracted .xml file
--Go to panorama -> Setup --> Operations --> Load named Panorama configuration snapshot --> Load the extracted .xml file
-- NB - Make sure to uncheck all other options except "Retain Rule UUIDs" and click OK
--Refresh the page and check for Device Groups and Templates

Stay Safe

I did extract the file.  I discovered that the nightly  "Scheduled Config Export" that we do actually backs up Panorama and every firewall managed by Panorama.  I found the Panorama configuration in the list of extracted files.

I did the import and the load.  This got Panorama back up and working.

However, one item that was not working was log collection.  After much research and Palo support conversations I discovered that the config export does not contain the Panorama / Collector Group / Device Log Forwarding / Log Forwarding Preferences / Devices.  I had to manually enter these and do a commit/push of the Collector Group.  We also had to restart the management server process per the following KB which resolved the issue.https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClaGCAS

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!