NetBIOS in todays world

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

NetBIOS in todays world

L4 Transporter

Hi Community,

I'm curious about your opinions to NetBIOS traffic.

I'm aware, that you can disable NetBIOS per interface via ncpla.cpl or via DHCP options.

With typical customers and current systems, you still see netbios connection between Windows systems.

Can anyone tell me, if that is really necessary in todays windows world? Are there security risks e.g. to allow NetBIOS betwenn Win-Clients and Domain-Controllers? Is it even necessary?

Looking forward to your inputs

Best Regards
Chacko
2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Its only my opinion, but it can be disabled. The OS should fall back to use DNS. However there might be some legacy apps that need it?

Regards,

L0 Member

I profoundly like your dedicated abilities as the post you distributed has some incredible data which is very valuable for me.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!