Ripple20 Vulnerability Group

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Ripple20 Vulnerability Group

L1 Bithead

Hi there

About 14 days ago a group of new 19 vulnerabilities were published under the name of "ripple20" by JSOF (https://www.jsof-tech.com/ripple20/). So far I could not find any information about in the community (which I find very strange... Maybe I missed something?).

The two central questions for me concerning this topic are:

1. Are any Palo Alto Network Products affected themselves?

2. Are there any mitigations (Threat-Protections Signatures, Configurations) for these risks, that can be implemented on NGFWs?

Thank you, best

Andreas

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Andreas,

A PANW security advisory regarding Ripple20 has been published at https://security.paloaltonetworks.com/PAN-SA-2020-0007.

Regarding CVE-2020-11901 we are still awaiting a report on this to be released at this year's Black Hat conference regarding the details of the invalid DNS response before we can determine if we can mitigate this vulnerability.

Cheers,

Ed

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

L2 Linker

Hello Andreas,

The two central questions for me concerning this topic are:

1. Are any Palo Alto Network Products affected themselves?

Answer: Ripple20 vulnerabilities are not applicable nor does it affect PAN-OS as we do not use Treck's TCP/IP software library in PAN-OS.

2. Are there any mitigations (Threat-Protections Signatures, Configurations) for these risks, that can be implemented on NGFWs?

Answer:  Currently PAN-OS can't see the layer-4 packets traffic detail in the IPS content engine but a new feature have been proposed in the future release to expose the layer-3/layer-4 traffic to the IPS content engine in order to have visibility to enforced mitigation action for such similar vulnerabilities.

Hoped this addresses your concern.

Regards,

Ed

Hello Edilang

Thanks for your reply. Especially the first one helps to easy an administrators mind.

As I understand your answer to the second question, this is more a thing of the future. Nevertheless I ask myself if it would not be possible to identify i.e. the crafted DNS answer-packets as a Threat-Protection Signature: CVE-2020-11901

thanks, regards
Andreas

Hi Andreas,

A PANW security advisory regarding Ripple20 has been published at https://security.paloaltonetworks.com/PAN-SA-2020-0007.

Regarding CVE-2020-11901 we are still awaiting a report on this to be released at this year's Black Hat conference regarding the details of the invalid DNS response before we can determine if we can mitigate this vulnerability.

Cheers,

Ed

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!